Another lesson learnt...

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have recently added a few teaspoons of either hummus or Taramaslta (sp?) to my evening meals. When testing I have seen my BG rise from the usual middle 5s to 6 and a bit. Nothing too concerning. I was intrigued why this had happened. I decided to give the yummy dips a miss,and see the result. My BG returned to the middle 5s. Back to plain and simple :(

I have recently added a few teaspoons of either hummus or Taramaslta (sp?) to my evening meals. When testing I have seen my BG rise from the usual middle 5s to 6 and a bit. Nothing too concerning. I was intrigued why this had happened. I decided to give the yummy dips a miss,and see the result. My BG returned to the middle 5s. Back to plain and simple :(
I am surprised as a 50g portion which would be more than a couple of teaspoons is only about 5g for the hummus and 2g for the taramuslata.
You are perhaps being too strict on yourself as if you are testing after 2 hours then as long as you are below 8mmol/l then that is OK, if you restrict yourself too much you may get fed up with lack of variety.

I am surprised as a 50g portion which would be more than a couple of teaspoons is only about 5g for the hummus and 2g for the taramuslata.
You are perhaps being too strict on yourself as if you are testing after 2 hours then as long as you are below 8mmol/l then that is OK, if you restrict yourself too much you may get fed up with lack of variety.
Thank you.
You are absolutely correct, I am a little too strict. It is just so curious how this whole Diabetes thing operates.

Why would that be a problem @Sharron1 ? I’ve tested my non-diabetic friends and they frequently go higher than that after meals. Getting to 6 or so after a meal is completely normal.
Thank you, It's not really a problem, I just find it fascinating how the different foods thing works or not with Diabetes. Every now and then I experiment with higher carb foods and have learnt portion control/moderation is the way forward.

I’d be perfectly happy to continue with the dips with those numbers @Sharron1

Variety is the spice of life, after all 🙂

I’d be perfectly happy to continue with the dips with those numbers @Sharron1

Variety is the spice of life, after all 🙂
Thanks. I have given so many things up, but am sticking with the dips... I also have learnt how to ration my takings from the office biscuit tin!

Fortunately (for me), it is loaded with ginger nut buscuits. Can't stand them.

Back