Another HbA1c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heike

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As everybody seems to share their HbA1c results I thought I join the club. Mine was 5.7 last week, which my dns found to be to low. I do agree with her, had a lot of hypos the last couple of month and had been reducing my insulin. But obviously not enough as I am still getting hypo's. :(
But maybe low is better then high?

A1c of 5.7% is great if it isn't associated with too many hypo's, which sounds like your is.
Long term low is better than high but not at expense of short term risk of hypo's. if you can work on eliminating some of the hypo's then you might feel in better control.Did she offer any support in reducing your insulin?

I do feel better with a lower bg, but now lost my hypo awareness. I have regular meetings with my dns now and we try to work things out. She is giving good advice and I can phone her if I need to.

Hello Heike,

Let's hope you can iron out the fluctuations and get an A1c that's based on consistent 'in range' levels! My last one was similar at 5.4, but with fluctuations. I'm still getting the fluctuations, but narrowing their extent e.g. my lows are 3.1-3.9 rather than the 2.x I was getting before, and my highs are 9.x rather than 14.x like before. It takes a bit of time, I hope you get there soon!🙂

Believe it or not - long term good control can actually reduce hypo awareness (we can never win!) And they sometimes advise running a bit high for a while to get them back...my average hbA1c is around 6.7. I would looove an hbA1c of below 6...

Can someone tell me if a HbA1c of 8.2 is good or bad cause my diabetic nurse seems to think this is great??

Can someone tell me if a HbA1c of 8.2 is good or bad cause my diabetic nurse seems to think this is great??

8.2 is higher than desirable but as with all these things it's relative, so for example a DSN may be really pleased with it if it's following higher readings etc

8.2 is higher than desirable but as with all these things it's relative, so for example a DSN may be really pleased with it if it's following higher readings etc

Not really, i was only 8.7 when i had it 3 month after i was diagnosed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back