Another daft question:-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delboy56

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Morning All, Not been on for a while, but had much good advice on these forums, thank you. I think I now have nearly all the I's dotted and the T's crossed. However, being ok, only 4 weeks into using insulin and had the dose raised 3 times I am a little curious if not getting slightly dispondant. Ok, daft bit, I've done the rounds of all ten fingers for tests, lowered the setting to ease the jab, but boy are they getting sore! Does anybody do the test elsewhere? Also I don't understand why on a fairly regular basis I test and get readings in the low teens, pretty good for me, then for example, yesterday, get up, lovely sunny morning, feel fine and then get hit with a reading of 30.8!! Seems to happen about once a week and am totally confused as I haven't eaten anything I think would cause it and certainly no alcohol involved....

How and where are you testing?
I ask because it is common for people with Type 1 to test 10 times a day without getting sore fingers unless they have some other condition which makes their fingers extra sensitive.
You mention you are rotating your fingers which is good.
Do you ensure your fingers are warm before pricking?
Do you stab the edge of the pad rather than the centre?
Have you adjusted the stab depth of the lancet device?

There are other places to prick but it is rare to use them, the interpretation of the blood sugars are different and it is rarely necessary if you prick correctly.

Make sure you’re just holding the pricker against your finger rather than pushing @Delboy56 That can make a big difference.

P.S - no question is daft here 🙂

How and where are you testing?
I ask because it is common for people with Type 1 to test 10 times a day without getting sore fingers unless they have some other condition which makes their fingers extra sensitive.
You mention you are rotating your fingers which is good.
Do you ensure your fingers are warm before pricking?
Do you stab the edge of the pad rather than the centre?
Have you adjusted the stab depth of the lancet device?

There are other places to prick but it is rare to use them, the interpretation of the blood sugars are different and it is rarely necessary if you prick correctly.
Hi Heli, I tend to use the sides of my finger, the top section, but was told not to use the top of my finger as thats where most nerve endings are. Have adjusted the lancet as well. I have to admit to dropping testing to morning and night, the very thought of 10 times a day honestly fills me with horror...lol

Also I don't understand why on a fairly regular basis I test and get readings in the low teens, pretty good for me, then for example, yesterday, get up, lovely sunny morning, feel fine and then get hit with a reading of 30.8!! Seems to happen about once a week and am totally confused as I haven't eaten anything I think would cause it and certainly no alcohol involved....
Do you wash your hands and retest when you get a very high result like 30 in the morning, just to make sure it isn't a rogue reading. Things like setting the breakfast table and handling a jam/marmalade jar could leave a tiny bit of sugar on your hands which could compromise the reading. The other thing to look at is what you had to eat the night before when that happens, if you have retested and the reading is correct. Getting readings in the 30s is a cause for serious concern especially as a fasting reading because it means you have likely been very high all night.

Can you remind us which insulin you are on and what sort of tings you are eating? Alcohol itself is not a great issue unless it is a higher carb drink like beer or cider or a sweet wine or sherry etc. I drink spirits with a low calorie mixer (ie G&T or rum and coke) or wine which have no effect on my BG levels.... but will put weight on of course long term and can therefore lead to increased insulin resistance. Pizza and pasta and chips on the other hand will cause my BG levels to rise very significantly. The "pizza effect" of a meal with a mixture of carbs and fat will push levels up through the night... so creamy pasta dishes and fish and chips as well as pizza will do that.

As regards finger pricking, I could prick the same finger 10 times a day and it not be sore so I do wonder if you are doing something wrong. I also just touch the lancing device to my finger, rather than pressing it firmly, so that when I depress the button, it sort of bounces/rebounds off my finger as the lancet pierces my skin rather than really stabbing my finger. The other thing which will make your fingers sore is squeezing them too hard. If hand are warm (either from cradling a cuppa or soaking in warm water for a few mins) and then giving the hand a bit of a shake, the blood should flow more easily and you shouldn't need to squeeze.

Hi. If this finger-prick testing becomes a real problem and you have the budget you could start using a self-funded Freestyle Libre 2 flash glucose tester which I have been doing for the last year. The device is amazing but does cost approx £100/month unless you can convince the GP/DN to apply for a free NHS funded one. My NHS Endo has promised me a free prescription but they are not easy to come by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back