1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Another browser hijack -- I suspect malware

Discussion in 'Off the subject...' started by robert@fm, Apr 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. robert@fm

robert@fm Well-Known Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 2
    I just had a page I was viewing hijacked by a page with the screaming headline "Critical Firefox Update". I think this is an attempted malware infestation, because:

• It propagated itself in an aggressive (and rude) way, namely hijacking the page I was reading. I'm sure that, at least, Mozilla would use a pop-up window or separate tab.
    • It was dressed as a legitimate Mozilla page, but wasn't a mozilla.org URL.
    • The file it was trying to download was a JavaScript file; Mozilla have recently disabled JavaScript.
    So beware if any of you get such a page. I am looking to see where I can report this one, and I will also block the URL.

2. Northerner

Northerner Admin (Retired)

Type 1
    Sounds pretty dodgy Robert :eek: Have you tried using Malwarebytes? I have found it particularly efficient in removing malware of this type in the past :)

3. grovesy

grovesy Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I use Malwarebytes too.

Northerner likes this.
  4. robert@fm

Type 2
    Good idea; I'm running a scan right now.

I think I've also uncovered a bug in BlockSite. :rolleyes: After blocking the malware URL (which I did after sending a report to Mozilla), I then found that BlockSite was blocking Diabetes UK! :mad: The default is supposed to be "blacklist" (block only the specified sites), but my blocking action somehow switched it to "whitelist" (block everything not specified). Fortunately I managed to switch it back; maybe I should switch to another site blocker, if there is one?

5. Vicsetter

Vicsetter Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I notice that Comodo Security software includes a Blacklist/Whitelist in it's firewall, I've not used it but I have been impressed with Comodo for virus protection.

6. robert@fm

Type 2
    Just got this page again. :mad: The source was a rogue advert (on the TV Tropes Wiki), so I've finally got around to installing Adblock Plus on my new machine.

7. RobK

RobK Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I run Malwarebytes and CCleaner all the time now after a few hijacks, Both seem to work very well.