Another bewbie here only diagnosed this week, shocked & confused with what I can eat or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne Curtis

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Another newbie here, just diagnosed this week. Confused about diet, not seen a diabetic nurse yet, trying to hit this head on with diet. On low dose of Metformin building over time. Expect thats usual. Glad I found this group, and hopefully help & support

Hi - what was the result of your HbA1c test - the blood test which if the result is 48 or over on two successive tests within say a month, lead to a diagnosis of diabetes. Just trying to establish how far over that number you were but don't worry about that cos shedloads of people on here were well into 3 figures and have managed to get their D into submission - at the least it can be controlled with the right approach anyway.

The major thing we eat which affects our blood glucose are carbohydrates - but that is not limited to the sweet things, the savoury and fairly tasteless carbohydrates still get converted to glucose by the body anyway and that conversion process starts in the mouth before we even start chewing or swallowing. The body is not selective in this process - it doesn't care if it's a slice of boiled spud, a slice of bread or literally a spoonful of sugar - turns em all into glucose. So - we need to identify how much carb we eat, and then see whether we're coping with that OK day to day or do we need to limit the amount?

Are you able to do that - ie recognise a carb at 30 paces?

Welcome to the forum. Just a quick reply as about to make dinner, tuna steak, strir fry veg, baked butternut squash, followed by strawberries and cream. Food which I enjoy and is low in carbohydrate.
This link may give you some ideas for modifying your diet as it is a low carb approach which is successful for many. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back