Another bad day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

allisonb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I was involved in a road traffic accident on Thursday last week on my way to work. I was taken my ambulance to A&E and thankfully there is no serious damage to my or baby. I was though, infuriated at the lack of knowledge about type 1 in the A&E department.

When I arrived my BS was taken and was very low, 1.6. No hypo signs, which I think was largely due to my blood sugars running low due to being pregnant and the shock of the accident. The nurse who was looking after me told me that he was going to get me a cup of tea (in a loud and slow voice!). I don't drink tea so told him no thank you, but could he please pass me the lucozade that was in my handbag. Ten minutes later he came back to me with a cup of tea and a slice of toast. I asked for my lucozade again and was amazed when he said, but that will raise your blood sugar really quickly! Er, hello, that's what I need it to do. I was finally handed my lucozade and told to drink the full bottle...do these people know nothing. My BS was taken when I'd swallowed the last mouthful of lucozade. It was lower, 1.4. Probably because it'd taken 10 minutes for the lucozade to arrive. You should eat this toast I was told.....aaaaarrrrgggghhhh! Let me treat my hypo myself in the way that I know works, you just concentrate on the incredible neck and back pain that I've got and checking that my unborn baby is ok.

Now I know that most medical professionals will have a limited knowledge of diabetes and that's ok. What I find it infuriating is that they try and treat us diabetics with that limited knowledge instead of admitting that we probably know what we're doing and leaving us to sort ourselves out.

Moan over!

OMG alison how awful for you im so pleased your well not ok but not seriously hurt after the accident and of course your baby xx , it aint been a good time for you lately hun , but i can see why your so angry , they wonder why lots of diabetics are confused and have no idea how to deal with this condition
and what do we get , the professionals dont even know a dam thing, I have said in the past on here the 1 person who knows there diabetes best is US , of course in some cases the diabetic is in no state to administer insulin or whatever , but him telling you the lucuzade would raise the levels is totally pathetic , you should show them a thing or 2 and go in and teach a lesson 🙄

Last edited:
Oh goodness that must have been really frightening for you. Glad to hear you are both ok. Shortly after being diagnosed I went to A&E as my back had been stolen, so I could not get in my flat, so had no insulin. After about 4 hours they told me they did not have any insulin they could give me, I should go home, not eat anything and go to my GP in the morning. Rubbish

Oh dear, this is just frightening!

Im glad you and your baby are ok, thank goodness you were able enough to treat your hypo as god knows what may have happened to you.

I'm so glad you're both OK. If I were you, I'd write to the hospital detailing your experience and telling them how they should have handled the hypo. A 5 minute talk on what to do in these circs wouldn't hurt them and might just prove useful to the next poor soul they treat.

Blimey! Quite an ordeal! Glad you and all are well, but I tell you I'm getting a bit worried about the number of stories like this we are hearing, I agree with you that we cannot expect all medical staff to have an indepth knowledge but it is a bit disconcerning! I hope every story like this that gets told may teach a handful of medical staff of how things are in the real word!

Rest up now and make sure you look after you and yours.

Rossi🙂

Wow, I'm really glad you're both ok. But still....😱...seriously, the mind completely boggles, it does. I know hospital staff can't be expected to be experts on everything under the sun, but that's lacking knowledge in a way that's scary, and very, very slow action on something that could be turn serious really quickly! 😡

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience at the Hospital, lets just hope that it's an isolated case.Good luck to you and the little one with your recovery.

Chris

I'm so glad you're both OK. If I were you, I'd write to the hospital detailing your experience and telling them how they should have handled the hypo. A 5 minute talk on what to do in these circs wouldn't hurt them and might just prove useful to the next poor soul they treat.

i think this is a great idea. as you said, we can't expect all medics to know everything about everything, but a basic understanding of a well-known condition would be appreciated by everyone.

glad to hear you're both okay 🙂

Hi Allison,
Glad to hear you are okay that must have been so terrifying for you. I canno't believe the way you were treated by that moron I'm surprised you didn't shout at him being that low and him not listening to you! I feel so angry just reading that thread on your behalf, I would have asked to speak to his supervisor there and then to be left 10 minutes when your having a bad hypo is just not acceptable who knows what could have happened in that time. Anyway I'm glad you and your baby are okay I'm going to go and take some deep breaths now and try and calm myself xx

Glad to her you and baby are both ok. I think the idea of a letter is a good one. I think some re-training of how to treat hypos would be helpful for the staff.

Flippin' eck, you've had a right few weeks, haven't you?!! 😱 I can't help but think this is definitely one case where a "violent hypo" might have been a good thing! 😉 (Only Joking!!!)

Seriously, you poor thing - I'd have been frantic! It' rubbish that in the one place you should be able to expect Gold Standard Care (as presumably they do see the odd diabetic having a severe hypo?!) you should get such rubbish treatment! Definitely write & set them straight!

Just really really glad to hear you and baby are ok - fingers crossed that the rest of your pregnancy is a lot calmer, bless you!!

Take care,

Twitchy x

Allison, I'm glad to hear the consequences of the road accident were relatively minor, although tragedy could well have ensued if it'd been left to the 'professionals'. Shocking.

xx

glad you are ok, had similar problem myself, recovery from
c - section and fainted, nurses had no clue if it was faint or hypo and my husband treated me and checked my BS etc and I was on the high risk ward. THnakfully they now train and allow nurses to come into diabetic appointments to figure what its all about.

Would definatly advise you to write to the hospital and make a complaint, they should have some more knowledge than that, you should not have to go through that farce = they are in the end medical professionals!!!

Thank you so much for all your kind replies guys. Baby is absolutely fine and I'm suffering a bit with my back but nothing serious I don't think. I have decided that I will write to the hospital. Treating a hypo isn't rocket science, especially if the person who is experiencing the hypo is actually telling you what the best thing to do is!!!

Think I'll hibernate for the rest of the pregnancy now so that nothing else happens!

Ax

ahhh bless i am very pleased babs alright sound like you have a bit of whiplash at mo...becareful with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back