Another anxiety episode :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silkman_Bob

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
All day my left arm has been aching pretty badly - along the lines of the day after the swine flu jab.

I dont think I have hurt it and I didnt really feel with it this morning - I put it down to low sugar levels so had half a kit kat and felt better this afternoon. My left foot also went dead for a few minutes but then went ok.

I then went in to panic mode and started to convince myself I was having a stroke or a TIA. After calling NHS Direct they told me that it didnt sound like a stroke and just to take pain killers.

Is this another example of me being anxious and panic ridden or do I have genuine grounds for concern?

Thank you
Bob x

Hi Bob, I think that we become more aware of our aches and pains when we have been diagnosed with diabetes, because we are aware of all the potentially bad things that can happen if we don't look after ourselves. So something we might have just ignored before can become frightening. I think you did the right thing ringing NHS direct - better to do that than fret and worry.

Hi Bob I cant say weather or not your being OTT as im not there and i cant see your pain, but all i can say on a personal level is sometimes mostly during the day my arm goes very stiff and my finger ends tingle i wiggle them around for abit and it seems to go, as you mentioend feet i also get sharp shooting pain for maybe less then 2 seconds and it leaves me and i never get anymore that day.I dont treat it as a major concern at the moment. think just ringing maybe the NHS to quash any of your fretting might be fine .

It could be the same thing that's been plaguing me Bob. Tennis elbow. Have you been doing anything repetitive by any chance? My physio told me to hold an icepack against my elbow for 10 minutes every three hours. Make sure the pack is wrapped, don't put it directly on your skin, and if the skin looks mottled, stop at once. A little pink is OK, mottled is not.

Thanks for all your replies! 🙂

Alison - its more at the top of my arm than my elbow. Pretty much where I had my swine flu jab but that was 2 months ago!

Hmm. Can you feel any kind of lump in that area? Or a rough patch of any kind?

If you ever worry - there's no harm in giving the doc a ring or like you did NHS direct. Better to be safe than sorry.

I know what you mean about worrying about everything, I had a bad headache the other week and was sure I was having a hemorrhage (my dad had one when I was a child - he was roughly 38-40, so fairly young). When I got the "sparkle" and nausea, I realised it was just a migraine, and I'm clearly a big hypochondriac 😛

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back