1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Another anniversary

Discussion in 'General Messageboard' started by Carlos, Nov 7, 2019 at 7:37 PM.

1. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 1
    25 years ago, around this time of the evening, I was being admitted to hospital with what turned out to be diabetic ketoacidosis. Lots of people coming and going and doing lots of things around me, as I was really ill, the doctors told my dad that I was on course to have a heart attack in the following 48 hours. I was feeling very tired, having to get up five or six times during the night, and always hungry, but I never thought I was that ill.

After ten days in hospital, and a few hours training on the at the time new fangled multiple daily injections and self testing I was discharged, and the adventure of living with diabetes started.

Twenty five years on I can't complain, no serious complications to speak of, and I have lived my life pretty much as if I wasn't diabetic.

Here's to a cure before the next 25 years are up.

2. SB2015

SB2015 Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Congratulations on your 25 years @Carlos.

How things must have changed in that time.

Carlos likes this.
  3. KARNAK

KARNAK Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Well done @Carlos and congratulations.:) Very similar to my own tale, hope you continue to stay well.

Carlos likes this.
  4. MrDaibetes

MrDaibetes Moderator

Type 1
    Wow, impressive. I bet you have seen a lot of changes through those years of diabetes.

Carlos likes this.
  5. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Thanks guys.

Not many changes for me, actually. When I was diagnosed pens were already commonplace, so never had to use vials and syringes after my discharge. Self testing and MDI were being pushed hard, and self management was the goal.

The only big change for me was going from actrapid/mixtard to novorapid/levemir, which increased flexibility.

I've never really been bothered about trying a pump, I manage fine with pens.

I have asked about getting a libre, now that it is available on prescription, but as I have good control and no complications, I understand I am at the end of a longish queue.

Not very exciting, I'm afraid, but in this business, that's rather a good thing.

6. Bruce Stephens

Bruce Stephens Well-Known Member

Type 1
    If you test more than 8 times a day (and your medical team is OK with you doing that) that might be enough. But I agree the 20-25% proportion they're aiming for now at is inevitably going to exclude lots of people who could gain from it.

Carlos and everydayupsanddowns like this.
  7. Jodee

Jodee Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Congratulatios Carlos :)

Carlos likes this.
  8. wirralass

wirralass Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Congratulations Carlos. 25years is a life sentence for some living with or without Diabetes so well done for accepting your dx and getting on with your life. I could have sworn I heard that a cure will be found in 10years!! Really? All digits & eyes crossed then!! I wish you well for the next 25years.
    WL

Carlos likes this.
  9. Northerner

Northerner Admin (Retired)

Type 1
    Congratulations on your 25 years @Carlos! :)

diaversary.jpg

Carlos likes this.
  10. happydog

happydog Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Well done Carlos! Your attitude and achievement is an inspiration. All the best and let us all hope that the "cure" will materialise soon.