Anniversary of diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munjeeta

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
This is a bit of a random question, but I'd be interested in any comments!

I was diagnosed with diabetes on March 6th 1995, a day that will forever be etched in my memory! The funny thing is, that every year, at the end of February/ beginning of March my mood takes a serious nose-dive (I have nose-dives at other times but not with quite such a consistency!) It's only when the black cloud moves away that it dawns on me that it's March and I was diagnosed at this time. I genuinely believe it has an impact on me, and my mum (who has lived with me and my diabetes on and off between my dagnosis at the age of 10 and 25) would agree... I always mention it to her and she always says: "I didn't want to mention it in case it made you feel worse"! Does anyone else have any strange connections with their date of diagnosis? Or does anyone celebrate it as a genuine anniversary?!

I would say when it comes around to it being a year of my diagnosis i will just treat it like any other day , I dont really want to be celebrating my condition (illness).

I celebrate my 'D-Day', well the day I was properly diagnosed (initially misdiagnosed as a t2) and put on insulin. I celebrate with as much 'un-diabetic' food as possible (all covered with insulin of course!)

I know exactly what you mean Munjeeta. I was diagnosed a couple of days before Christmas a couple of years ago and now find myself hating that time of year as it brings back horrible memories for me

I was diagnosed about a week or so before Easter 2006 and spent the time clearing out jam and sweets from the cupboards.

Everyone else dreads Easter and bring Easter Eggs in to the house with fear and trepidation.

This year has been better as we have a treats tea trolley in the office. All the treats that no one else likes that I'd normally eat I have put onto the trolley in the office. If I want any I h ave to get up from my desk to get them and everyone else see me.

Just before Easter and just before Christmas are the worst times to be diagnosed, but we should be controlling it and not it us...

It was my first anniversary of being on insulin on the 3rd of feb and i celebrated the fact that i was still here!! That day a year before i was unconcious in hospital with DKA and it was touch and go for a while, it is amazing how quick that year has gone!!! I dont celebrate the actual date i originally got diagnosed as diabetic{ 7yrs ago} originally mis-diagnosed as type2 but thats a different story.🙂

I hope to be 'celebrating' my first anniversary with a trip to the Southampton Beer Festival. I missed last year's because I was in hospital!

As I haven't had a full year to reflect on yet, I don't know how I will feel about it. I think I will be OK because I have had a very supportive healthcare team, my levels have been generally very good and I have had this forum which has been invaluable🙂

I hope to be 'celebrating' my first anniversary with a trip to the Southampton Beer Festival. I missed last year's because I was in hospital!

As I haven't had a full year to reflect on yet, I don't know how I will feel about it. I think I will be OK because I have had a very supportive healthcare team, my levels have been generally very good and I have had this forum which has been invaluable🙂

A very positive outlook, Northerner. I wish I'd had a bit more clarity in my first years after diagnosis.

Haha... Good I'm glad to see a positive spin has been put onto my message, I love the attitude of beer festivals and anti-diabetic food! - I hadn't meant it in a negative way, I was just intrigued as to how other people felt about it. Although the feelings of morbidness I get around that time of year have been very real in the past I'm hoping next March I might be able to be more aware of it and celebrate the joys of spring instead!! 🙂

I was diagnosed a few days before my ninth birthday and remember that I was very annoyed 😡 because I was supposed to be going to my first proper concert and wasn't allowed out of hospital to go! That was in the days when they kept you in hospital for about a fortnight after diagnosis. (Thinking about it, mind you, I am just assuning things are different now - are they?) It is now so long ago that I can't even remember the date so don't celebrate at all.

I do celebrate my D-day now, day before my birthday. I hated my birthday and the lead up for years as I accociated it with bad things being diagnosed with diabetes, failed my driving test and another traumatic thing that happened just before my birthday.
So I can understand your feelings, I am much better now about it. Next year will be my 10 year anniversarry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back