Annie - problems with meds

Status
Not open for further replies.

annie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Mia, I am another newbie.

I seem to be having the same problems with my surgery as you. I was diagnosed in October of this year, given Metformin and a brochure! I arranged to go to a local educational class at my local hospital (where I have to admit they were very helpful). My doctor also insisted I take simvastatin (one a day). These gave me terrible side effects and I became almost suicidal. I could not get hold of anyone at my surgery to speak to until December 17th. I finally got an emergency doctor who told me to come off the simvastatin and made an appointment for me to see my doctor. I saw her last week and she promptly told me that I should not trouble the surgery and I should go back on the simvastatin, and she offered to put me on anti-depressants. I completely refused and assured her I could get my cholestral down by diet (I hope). My blood pressure fortunately is low. Now I am only on Metformin I am having problems. I take 500mg twice a day but feel completely spaced out, nauseas, light headed and blurred vision. My doctor insists you do not get "hyos" with Metformin, but is not willing to look into it further. I only have medi-test strips to test my glucose level and it comes up negative every time. Help, what can I do?

I seem to be having the same problems with my surgery as you. I was diagnosed in October of this year, given Metformin and a brochure! I arranged to go to a local educational class at my local hospital (where I have to admit they were very helpful). My doctor also insisted I take simvastatin (one a day). These gave me terrible side effects and I became almost suicidal. I could not get hold of anyone at my surgery to speak to until December 17th. I finally got an emergency doctor who told me to come off the simvastatin and made an appointment for me to see my doctor. I saw her last week and she promptly told me that I should not trouble the surgery and I should go back on the simvastatin, and she offered to put me on anti-depressants. I completely refused and assured her I could get my cholestral down by diet (I hope). My blood pressure fortunately is low. Now I am only on Metformin I am having problems. I take 500mg twice a day but feel completely spaced out, nauseas, light headed and blurred vision. My doctor insists you do not get "hyos" with Metformin, but is not willing to look into it further. I only have medi-test strips to test my glucose level and it comes up negative every time. Help, what can I do?

Hi Annie and welcome to the forum.

With regard to Simvastatin, lots of peolple have bad side effects from them and your doctor could easilly put you on a different type of statin, but obviously can't be bothered.

As for Metformin it is meant to make you more insulin sensitive so that the insulin your body produces is more effective. The doctor is right when they say that Metformin does not give you hypo's as it does not lower your bloodsugar levels.

Your doctor sounds most unsympathetic and I would seriously consider changing GP if they can't be bothered listening to your concerns.

Hello Mia and Annie

Annie
The nausea sounds like it could be a side effect of the Metformin, that tends to give everybody some kind of stomach problems when they start taking it. It's up to you to see if these get better ( my reaction to starting metformin was what can only be described as an explosion!), it can take several months, or if you really struggle, there are alternative drugs you can try. Like Phil said, Metformin increases your senstivity to insulin so you shouldn't get hypos. Other drugs can cause hypos. I sometimes get light headed and spaced out, with either higher or lower blood sugar than normal (and i have a theory that this is more a reponse to how fast my blood sugar is going up or down, rather than the actual level, i've get to put this theory to my diabetes nurse yet though), the blurred vision thing i'd associate with high blood sugar, but i've only experienced it once myself, at a bg level of somewhere near 20 when i was first diagnosed.
Were you taking your simvastatin at night? If you were don't worry, it doesn't agree with everyone, there are other statins you could try if you need to. Suggest Atorvastatin to your doctor.
You doctor sounds like a complete fool, you can always take your business somewhere else.

Mia

I hope your nurse is more useful than your doctor, mine is. Hope you're feeling better. I've just realised how lucky i am to have reliable people i can go to for medical advice.

Rachel (type two for just over a year)

hi annie welcome
Glad thread was moved as i realise you are in need of help from this forum.
when first diagnoised a wirlwind goes through your mind and if you were anything like me i couldn't remember anything when i went to the gP and nurse. I am very lucky to have an excelllant caring surgery however was still extremely confused but over the months on here i have received support and loads of info which make sense...there are a few of us T2 around however the T1 s parents and other carers have incredible knowlegde..remember no question is silly here XX

Hi Annie, sorry to hear you are having problems.. I was on simvastatin for about 9 years without a problem, but it affects everyone differently.. I was taken off it because it stopped working for me or I became resistant to it and am now on Rosuvastatin, again no problems for me on this... one question you didnt drink grapefruit juice while you were on it as that is a bad mix as it affects the tablet and the way it acts.

Metformin I hated on 2000mg i spent most of the day in the bathroom, so was cut down to what i could manage... but am now on Metformin slow release 2000mg and so far have had none of the horrendous side effects... it doesn't make you hypo.. BUT you might find that if your sugars have been high and they get lower into a normal range you may find you get a false hypo, I had a few of them until my body got used to being at a lower level.

Your dr may have prescribed anti-depressants because of being diagnosed diabetic, it is a big shock to the system and some need a short course of anti-depressants to help them... 10 years on and i have only just admitted to my DSN that i still havent come to terms with being diabetic, not saying that will happen to you.. but having diabetes can be a cause of depression... I agree with you not wanting to go back on the simvastatin, and you should mention to your dr that you are willing to try other statins...

Hi Annie, I'm sorry to hear you are having such problems with your medication and your doctors surgery. Don't appologise for asking questions or feel any question is silly, everyone has to ask sometimes!

The nausea that is a side effect with metformin passes in time, but I think you probably need a bit more support. If your GP is being unsympathetic (some of them switch off to others needs sometimes) try speaking to NHS direct and see what they advise or the practice nurse. I find the practice nurse more helpful than the doctor.

Agree if possible change your GP, they are there to make you better and not make you feel worse.

Simvistatsin causes many side effects, and I am not convinced all the side effects are fully understood. Your pharmacist will be able to advise you about the side effects of the different medications you take and there is usually a leaflet with most medications. To be quite honest I have more faith imn my local pharmacist and the practice nurse than I do my doctor, but I still need the doctor to write the prescriptions.

Many people find it hard to come to terms with the diabetes and feel very down or depressed over it. You have come to the right place, we will sympathise and give support, although the advice is sometimes get medical help. There is usually someone around who has been through wht you are going through and will help you through it.

Metformin and Metformin SR both gave me stomach problems so I stopped taking them. See my post "Death by Chocolate and Ovaltine !!!"

Simvastatin. When I was first diagnosed the Doc put me on Atorvastatin, which I took with no problems. When I needed a repeat precription the Doc changed it to Simvastatin, after taking a couple of these I came out in lumps and bumps all over my body. Saw Doc immediateley, he changed it back to Atorvastatin, no problems since.

Hi Annie and welcome,

I can't comment on either of the medications you refer to, however, Metformin works by changing the digestion of your food in your intestines, hence many people experience the side effects of the drug for a while after starting on it. Metformin is otherwise known as Metfartin - for seemingly good reason by many.

The symptoms of 'hypos' are just symptoms, not actual hypos. Your body has been used to running with high blood glucose and now by diet and metformin this is lowering - a good indication the change in gut absorption is working! And you're now having to adjust to the lowering levels, hence, feeling wobbly, faint, poor memory.

In an odd way I guess they are good signs and you should continue to take things slowly and pace yourself.

Statins react differently with different people and there is a growing mass of documentation and research into this type of drug.

It should always be noted, your doctor can't force you to take any medication, you shouldn't get the prescription processed if you don't intend to take them, that's a waste of everyones money. However, diabetes is about a team managing your diabetes. This is you, your doctor and practise nurse in your case.

There are very clear guidelines about involving the patient in key decisions and from your perspective so far this would appear not to be the case.

If you're in a multi-gp practice you could consider seeing another doctor, my personal stance is to see the same doctor each time I visit, if I have to I will wait to see them, if it's that urgent, then I will see (within reason) whoever is available.

Should you be in a very small practice or not have a good relationship with any of the doctors, then consider changing practices. Again it's your choice and you're with this condition for life, so you might as well get the basics covered and comfortable now, than struggle with yet another problem only to address it in 2 years time.

There is a national framework within the NHS for all diabetics, as with many things you may find you're offered some of what you're entitled to have, and not other things. Get a copy (Diabetes UK publish a concise version on their website) and don't be afraid to stand your ground. If you're asking for what you're entitled a few people might be put out. However, if you don't get tested and checked out and in years to come you develop a complication you'll kick yourself - from now on it's about keeping good control and preventing the complications for ever, or as long as you possibly can.

You've found a body of people many of us have been there ahead of you, know the problems and can steer you in the right direction. If you're diligent now and get things in order things will become much easier for you.

Finally, diabetes impacts on almost every part of your body and mind. Once you've got over this almighty shock and have everything under control, you'll soon start to discover how to manage it and get back to leading a reasonably normal life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back