Animal free = less insulin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiddymonster

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have had Type 1 for 29 years. In April 2007 I became Vegan and since then I have realised that I am needing half as much insulin as I used to. I used to take about 60 units a day and now get by with just over 30. All the research I have found on Diabetes and the vegan diet concerns Type 2s as the media think that is the only type of Diabetes there is. Are there any other Type 1 Vegans out there who have noticed a change in their insulin requirements.

I have had Type 1 for 29 years. In April 2007 I became Vegan and since then I have realised that I am needing half as much insulin as I used to. I used to take about 60 units a day and now get by with just over 30. All the research I have found on Diabetes and the vegan diet concerns Type 2s as the media think that is the only type of Diabetes there is. Are there any other Type 1 Vegans out there who have noticed a change in their insulin requirements.
hi kiddymonster, im newly diagnosed type 1 originally mis-diagnosed as type 2 6yrs ago, i'm not vegan, but was vegetarian for nearly 20 yrs. i've been on insulin since feb this year, i've had some dreaded weight gain since going on insulin so have decided to go back to my previous vegetarian lifestyle. i started eating meat again while pregnant with my youngest child, all i craved was meat. i will look forward to maybe reduce my insulin intake once i change my diet to a must healthier one, i have thought about the vegan lifestyle in the past but thought i might find it too restrictive...? i've just noticed that you come from reading, i was born in reading, and brought near newbury. my family are still all down south. i look forward too chatting about recipes etc. merry xmas

I was vegi when i got diabetes, my dietition was well please, bno need to cut out fatty foods cause i was not eating any. I think i made her year with my existing diet.I was a well healty teenager hardly and crisp or chocolate maybe once a week.
I love being vegi but its hard being vegi and diabetic, Well done on being vegan, I couldnt do it.
xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back