And you still want to smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smoking is very difficult to pack up, even when you know the risks. My nan had lung cancer and smoked. She said she wanted to die happy and she did.

I smoked for years and year, about 20 of them infact and was a heavy smoker. They say that only 20% of smokers are actually addicted, I was in that 20%. No-one ever thought I would give up. I was a very polite smoker, never infront of non smokers, never at the table etc etc. I knew one day I was pack it in but no health warning given by anyone would have inticed me to give up. I don't think that non smokers will ever understand that part of it. It is a drug and a dangerous very addictive drug.

One morning I woke up and thought, today is the day. I had six left in my box so smoke them all. That evening after work I (this bit is disgusting) I went through the ash tray outside and smoked any fag buts that I could find (don't ask I'm not normally that disgusting) and have not had one since that day which is 4 1/2 years ago.

I smoked for years and year, about 20 of them infact and was a heavy smoker. They say that only 20% of smokers are actually addicted, I was in that 20%. No-one ever thought I would give up. I was a very polite smoker, never infront of non smokers, never at the table etc etc. I knew one day I was pack it in but no health warning given by anyone would have inticed me to give up. I don't think that non smokers will ever understand that part of it. It is a drug and a dangerous very addictive drug.

One morning I woke up and thought, today is the day. I had six left in my box so smoke them all. That evening after work I (this bit is disgusting) I went through the ash tray outside and smoked any fag buts that I could find (don't ask I'm not normally that disgusting) and have not had one since that day which is 4 1/2 years ago.

Well done Adrienne, my mums tried giving up smoking loads of times, and starts off really well but then something will happen and shes back to smoking, I've never smoked and i know I won't start but I do understand (if not fully) how hard it is for people to stop smoking, and drinking too.

Its a myth that it's hard to give up, and one that's pushed on us by the government (handing out these quit kits to make it "easier"). I tried many times to give up smoking thinking it'd be hell on earth, and because I thought that, it was - but it was purely psychological. Then I was told that it's all a big con to keep the government in taxes, tried to give up and never had one craving :D

The true physical cravings last only hours, anything else is psychological - you can do it if you try - I'm 2 years post ciggie and never been tempted. And I was a 40 a day smoker for 15 years.

I was a chain smoker even though I only smoked for 8 years. I gave it up 21 years ago in May. Probably the best thing I ever did.

The true physical cravings last only hours, anything else is psychological - you can do it if you try - I'm 2 years post ciggie and never been tempted. And I was a 40 a day smoker for 15 years.

I really don't understand smoking. I have smoked many a time, but can't imagine getting addicted to it. I don't really believe people are actually addicted to be hoest 😱 My mum says she is addicted so I just say to her "know you aren't, you're just a d***" 😉

Its a myth that it's hard to give up, and one that's pushed on us by the government (handing out these quit kits to make it "easier"). I tried many times to give up smoking thinking it'd be hell on earth, and because I thought that, it was - but it was purely psychological. Then I was told that it's all a big con to keep the government in taxes, tried to give up and never had one craving :D

I don't agree. I smoked for 20 years (stopped 15 years ago). Nicotene is one of the most powerfully addictive drugs there is. It takes about three weeks for your body to rid itself of the nicotene , then, depending on how ingrained a habit it has become, can take up to two years to stop thinking about them. Not for everyone, obviously - my ex-girlfriend could stop and start at will - but for some people it is extremely difficult.

I have done 1 week now without smoking, think and hope i have give up for good this time. Feeling so much better for it, food tastes lovely, and smoke free house is ace

I have done 1 week now without smoking, think and hope i have give up for good this time. Feeling so much better for it, food tastes lovely, and smoke free house is ace

Well done Scotty! Keep up the good work!

I don't agree. I smoked for 20 years (stopped 15 years ago). Nicotene is one of the most powerfully addictive drugs there is. It takes about three weeks for your body to rid itself of the nicotene , then, depending on how ingrained a habit it has become, can take up to two years to stop thinking about them. Not for everyone, obviously - my ex-girlfriend could stop and start at will - but for some people it is extremely difficult.

"Nicotine has a short half-life (2-4 hours) so often it is not detectable after 24 hours. Cotinine, its major metabolite, has a half-life of 16-19 hours so it usually is detectable for 4-7 days, depending upon amount of consumption."

"Nicotine's effects are short-lived, lasting only 40 minutes to a couple of hours. This leads people to smoke or chew tobacco periodically throughout the day to dose themselves with nicotine. Add to this the fact that you can become tolerant to nicotine's effects -- you need to use more and more nicotine to reach the same degree of stimulation or relaxation -- and you can see how people would quickly move from smoking one cigarette to a pack a day habit."

Hmm.

Yes I also don't agree. It most definitely wasn't and isn't psychological to me. My weight problem is psychological so I understand for some it may be. I still get cravings, especially when I smell fresh smoke. I still love the smell of a freshly lit fag, and I would love one. Where I get the strength not to have one, I don't know. I know if I had just one, I would be back on it big time. Psychologically I know I don't need one but cravings for me are not psychological.

That's what we're told (and ask me 3 years ago I'd have agreed), but really it is easy, the more you think it's hard - the harder it'll be. You're talking to an ex-smoker here, I tried several times with a negative attitude (eg scared I was going to crave - so I did). The actual effects of nicotene and need for nicotene is over in the first day. After that it is psychological.

Obviously - psychological "addiction" is hard to crack, try reading Alan Carr's book - I hear it's fab, it was hearing about that which helped me give up.

And feeling the effects of suffocating (I had a very traumatic experience with a general anaesthetic c*ck up).

To be brutally honest, those who say it's as addictive as heroin need to go through a REAL withdrawal, they wouldn't say that again!

I have read Allen Carr's book - in fact it was that that finally helped me stop. But whatever someone else says about it being psychological after the first day, I know for a fact that it was physical for me (and no doubt many others) for around a month. Other people's experiences may be different (as with diabetes), but if stopping smoking was as easy as not doing it for a day, then there would be no smokers. Nicotine establishes pathways in the brain that do not disappear overnight.

While people keep believing that, there will always be smokers. Plus it's a good excuse to not have to quit, or for failing. I was queen of the excuses, wouldn't be this fat or even diabetic if I wasnt :D

It's much easier to say "I cant" than "I dont want to yet". Even to yourself.

I still agree with Northerner I'm afraid. It was a physical thing for me rather than psychological. Not sure about now though, Katie you are right, it my be in my head now rather than physical but it wasn't for a long time.

That is what I said originally though, that 80% it is in their head and only 20% are addicted. I was the most addicted out of any of my friends, absolutely and I honestly believe I was addicted.

However I would never compare it to heroin withdrawals, different ball game.

Food is the worst addiction as with everything else you can give up and never go back to, if you have this problem with food you can never stop eating, you would die !

Each person is different.....having been diagnosed with Type 2 for a week now i can honestly say if i could never eat another piece of chocolate again i would cope but the thought of never smoking is much harder for me to cope with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back