An update to my liver issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flutterby

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Some of you may remember that 12 months ago I had abnormal liver function tests seemingly out of the blue. Tests a few months earlier were normal but suddenly there was concern. Further tests showed AMA antibodies which led to a referral to the QE hospital in Birmingham and months of scan, tests and finally an MRI.

My consultant was mystified as I had no symptoms of Primary Billiary Cirrhosis/cholangitis which is what is normally indicated by AMA antibodies. All my scans were fine.

The suggestion was made that perhaps my covid vaccinations had triggered this response as the timing pointed that way, a booster jab was withheld until we knew more.

They kept saying that it was impossible to know if I had always had AMA or whether it was new. Well I am now able to tell you that recent bloods have come back normal!! No AMA at all! I cried when the GP told me. Its taken 12 months to clear though so at present I am hoping the new Novavax protein based jab will be safer for me. Its not yet available though despite being licensed as a primary (1st and 2nd) vaccination.

I thought you would all be glad of an update. Thank you for your support through a very frightening journey. I am speaking to my consultant on the 25th to hear her take on these developments.

Absolutely delighted for you @Flutterby but so sorry that you had to endure 12 months of stress and worry with it. Let's hope this is all now sorted for good, but do update us after your appointment with the consultant.

Great to hear @Flutterby

Congrats on the all clear 🙂

Thanks everyone. The latest is that my consultant has yet again changed her mind on my having a booster jab against covid due to the disappearance of the AMA antibodies.

She advises against it and wants all the blood tests done again to confirm. It is really frustrating so once again I have to stay in and hope I don't get covid.

Does anyone know if type 1 diabetes means we would be eligible for the new antiviral treatments if I do get it?

I have dental treatment in 2 weeks and they don't seem to be continuing any sort of covid precautions, most people were not wearing masks and even the dentist removed his. ( I intend to move dentists when possible but for now I have to keep this one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back