An old diabetic who needs new advice/education I think!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Having just registered on the forum, I have been reading lots of posts and feel totally out of people's regimes! I have no idea what TBR, basal, bolus etc etc is?! Where have I been and why have I not been updated with anything new!

I was also reading the section on exercise at the gym and how to contol your BS and what BS to start exercise on which I have always struggled with too.

Having been a diabetic for 16 years I now feel totally out of touch with how other diabetics may run their lives and improve their standard of life.

I think I need a trip to my local hospital or any advice on how I can get new advice/education - is DAFNE the way to go?
:confused:

Hi Stephie,
Dont worry - you seem to have been managing ok anyway - your hba1c isnt too bad.

Basal = background insulin like levemir etc..
bolus = quick acting insuling for eating!
MDI = multiple daily injection

DAFNE should be offered free from your diabetes clinic - but you have to ask to go on the waiting list!

My son is 11 and started pumping 5 months ago - he/we love it more than injections and control is much better for him. I didnt know anything until i joined this forum - but i am still learning and its been a year! Dont be afraid to ask anything - everyone is lovely here and will help if they can.🙂Bev

Hi Stephie and welcome to the forum. There is lots to learn, and I'm finding the more I find out the less I know. Please feel free to ask anything you like here.

Ask for a DAFNE course, from other forum users, I understand they are helpful. Also look up www.xperthealth.org.uk They run courses for type 1's and type 2's.

Hi Stephie,

Don't worry about not knowing something. I will have been on insulin for 43 years this summer (no time off for good behaviour). From the mid-nineties to the early noughties (?) I was also on the committee of the local support group. Basal and bolus meant nothing to me when I joined the forum. Then I found out that is was comparable to my actrapid/insulatard regime (I had to revert to porcine insulin because of issues with synthetic). Having Balance magazine I knew DAFNE was not something found in flower beds although until I joined the forum I had had no contact with anyone who had been on one.

Feel free to PM if you prefer, Falcon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back