An obviously stupid question really!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I give myself 17 units of Glargine in my thigh of an evening holding the pen in place for 20 secs just to make sure it stays in there. The last couple of days I’ve had a little leakage so today I ran high and tonight I gave myself an extra couple of units after leaking again. From what I hear at work (hospital pharmacy) we have patients on hugely higher doses using normal strength insulin so is it normal to split evening injections to make the volume smaller (even though I’m on a pathetically small dose?!! Or should I just switch to belly site? It metabolises faster so I would rather not if that makes sense?!

Why are you giving extra units without basal testing first? It’s normal for there to be a drop of insulin after you take it out. You’ll need to test more often to make sure the extra dose doesn’t make you go hypo

From what I hear at work (hospital pharmacy) we have patients on hugely higher doses using normal strength insulin so is it normal to split evening injections to make the volume smaller (even though I’m on a pathetically small dose?!! Or should I just switch to belly site? It metabolises faster so I would rather not if that makes sense?!
You could split it but as you say it's really not a big dose. Thighs have quite a bit of surface area so I'm a bit surprised there's a problem (plenty of space to select different places). Rather than belly you could try buttocks (which aren't so rapid).

Why are you giving extra units without basal testing first? It’s normal for there to be a drop of insulin after you take it out. You’ll need to test more often to make sure the extra dose doesn’t make you go hypo
Hi Lucyr I don’t normally leak after injecting, just yesterday and tonight and like I said after last nights leak I ran high today so when it happened again tonight I gave an extra couple of units to cover. I use Dexcom G6 so I’m very much on it. Thank you so much for your speed of light reply! x

You could split it but as you say it's really not a big dose. Thighs have quite a bit of surface area so I'm a bit surprised there's a problem (plenty of space to select different places). Rather than belly you could try buttocks (which aren't so rapid).
Ha ha! I’m 50 now and can’t quite bend myself as I used to to be able to give myself an ass shot! I don’t know why this has been an issue the last couple of days, never had a problem with seepage of anything from anywhere in my life! Many thanks for replying so quickly btw and yes the surface area of my upper thighs are slightly more (not THAT much though!) palatial than in my younger days but I am struggling to understand why it has started now?!

Mmmmm - I destroyed the padding on my outer thighs injecting Lantus - ie insulin glargine - into them until they no longer absorbed anything whatever. Mega warning - because glargine becomes crystalline in the body, it's an absolute sod for building up 'pockets' of crystals in the body which sit there for yonks then one day with no warning decide to release and surprise surprise you have a hypo that lasts for hours and hours and hours even though you throw half a gallon of old fashioned Lucozade (the full sugar and glucose sort) and a whole packet of custard creams at it.

Anyway if your thighs are now hard as hard with no soft 'pudgy' feeling - that's what you've done so STOP jabbing there. Was one of the reasons I had to go for a pump. That was about 10 years ago, and still no flesh to jab in on my outer thighs but I can now use a cannula on my middle front thighs as long as I insert it slightly onto my inner thigh about once every 2 weeks for my statutory 2 days.

Reactions: Leo
Mmmmm - I destroyed the padding on my outer thighs injecting Lantus - ie insulin glargine - into them until they no longer absorbed anything whatever. Mega warning - because glargine becomes crystalline in the body, it's an absolute sod for building up 'pockets' of crystals in the body which sit there for yonks then one day with no warning decide to release and surprise surprise you have a hypo that lasts for hours and hours and hours even though you throw half a gallon of old fashioned Lucozade (the full sugar and glucose sort) and a whole packet of custard creams at it.

Anyway if your thighs are now hard as hard with no soft 'pudgy' feeling - that's what you've done so STOP jabbing there. Was one of the reasons I had to go for a pump. That was about 10 years ago, and still no flesh to jab in on my outer thighs but I can now use a cannula on my middle front thighs as long as I insert it slightly onto my inner thigh about once every 2 weeks for my statutory 2 days.
I wouldn’t mind but like I said it’s only 17 units and I have only conceded to long acting for a couple of months now (LADA has allowed me to keep pretty much diet controlled with a little Fiasp for a gorgeous chocolatey pudding!) for 2.5 yrs after diagnosis but I noticed my numbers creeping up recently so started Glargine. My thighs definitely have a little pudge, just a little so I don’t get why It’s suddenly puking out a bit of the insulin when I inject?!!! I did look up how LA differs from RA and read that LA crystallises upon administration because of its chemical make up to ensure a slow release. Many thanks TW for your input, much appreciated x

Sure before pump lantis dose was 22u, did split it by injecting in 2 sites, found it absorbed better than in 1 dose in 1 site, just did lantus 1x daily & dose was given on evening.

Often had wee bit of seepage at sites, rarely would I not see it after removing needle, even on small bolus doses.

@Leo - My dose of Lantus was 18u a day. This happened after approx 2 or 3 years.

Reactions: Leo
I currently need 26 units of Levemir on a morning and I split it and inject half into each buttock. I just inject before I get out of bed and I don't need to see where I am injecting so no twisting involved, I just jab one cheek and inject, roll over and jab the other cheek. I find thighs can ooze a bit. I wonder if it is because I inject into them in a seated position when the muscle/tissue is more taut. You could try injecting with straight legs and see if that makes any difference. I also find injecting in the very tops of my legs less painful and also less likely to bleed or leak.
I keep my stomach for bolus insulin as I don't want to over use it with basal as well.

I currently need 26 units of Levemir on a morning and I split it and inject half into each buttock. I just inject before I get out of bed and I don't need to see where I am injecting so no twisting involved, I just jab one cheek and inject, roll over and jab the other cheek. I find thighs can ooze a bit. I wonder if it is because I inject into them in a seated position when the muscle/tissue is more taut. You could try injecting with straight legs and see if that makes any difference. I also find injecting in the very tops of my legs less painful and also less likely to bleed or leak.
I keep my stomach for bolus insulin as I don't want to over use it with basal as well.
I split the injections this evening in my upper outer thighs before I read your post. I’ll see how that goes tomorrow but yes I always inject into my thigh when I’m seated and my leg is bent therefore increasing pressure. I will try tomorrow injecting my thigh but with my leg straight. I also save Fiasp for belly injections, quicker absorption ;@) Great idea btw and thank you for your very sensible sounding reply!

@Leo - My dose of Lantus was 18u a day. This happened after approx 2 or 3 years.
We are Glargine twins pretty much! I only started with the LA 2.5 yrs after diagnosis because my numbers were creeping up! Thanks so much for your lovely replies TW x

Sure before pump lantis dose was 22u, did split it by injecting in 2 sites, found it absorbed better than in 1 dose in 1 site, just did lantus 1x daily & dose was given on evening.

Often had wee bit of seepage at sites, rarely would I not see it after removing needle, even on small bolus doses.
This has only been an issue for me the last couple of days and I saw it the day after the first seepage with high numbers so tonight I jabbed a half dose into each thigh. No seepage, a tiny weeny bleed but I’m confident I got the full shots. Thank you so much for your kind reply… Onwards and upwards! x

This has only been an issue for me the last couple of days and I saw it the day after the first seepage with high numbers so tonight I jabbed a half dose into each thigh. No seepage, a tiny weeny bleed but I’m confident I got the full shots. Thank you so much for your kind reply… Onwards and upwards! x

Nice one, like all things in life you only find these things out by experimenting, glad it helped.

Titrated up to 32 units now but still ooze if I inject in one site so Ive decided to do 2 x 16u injections to minimise any leakage. Thank you all for your very kind and informative replies! x

Ha ha! I’m 50 now and can’t quite bend myself as I used to to be able to give myself an ass shot!
Age should not be an excuse. I am older than you and have no problem.

But I hope you sort out your basal dose.
Have you done a basal test recently? Our dose can often change, especially with things such as it getting warmer.

I’m guessing you can reach your behind when you go to the toilet, if you can sort yourself out after the loo then you have enough flexibility to inject in your backside, should you wish to try it.

Age should not be an excuse. I am older than you and have no problem.

But I hope you sort out your basal dose.
Have you done a basal test recently? Our dose can often change, especially with things such as it getting warmer.
So true! Age is absolutely not an excuse but menopause has caused a sh*tshow metabolism wise. I’ve let myself go a little, asked work for a 3 mo sabbatical to sort my sh*t out, for the last year nearly 2st over my usual weight, unfit and plan to join a gym for the 3mo if Im granted the sabbatical. I’m determined to beat this. My DG6 shows I’m doing good BG wise (6% GMI and 91% in range over the last 90 days) I just need to exercise more and cut the Basal while doing so. Thank you for your very kind and informative reply and happy Sunday (for the measly 15 minutes left of it!) Have a great week! x

I’m guessing you can reach your behind when you go to the toilet, if you can sort yourself out after the loo then you have enough flexibility to inject in your backside, should you wish to try it.
Ha ha!!! Yes I can still wipe my own arse just about thank you!!!! I’m leaving my arse out of the injection section for now and hopefully always!!! Belly and thigh thankfully still on the up and up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back