Amitriptyline

Status
Not open for further replies.

cazscot

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Doc has prescribed me Amitriptyline for my sore shoulder. Does anyone have experience of taking it? I have never had an anti-depressent before and I am a bit wary of taking it, even though for its painkilling properties...

Thanks

Doc has prescribed me Amitriptyline for my sore shoulder. Does anyone have experience of taking it? I have never had an anti-depressent before and I am a bit wary of taking it, even though for its painkilling properties...

Thanks

Hi Carol, i took a small dose briefly earlier this year for headaches.

although it is an AD, in small doses they do not have this affect, they apparently calm down nerve endings and if your pain is nerve related it should help.

think someone will be able to explain better than me though.

I put off taking it for weeks and can understand your reluctance, i personally did not like them, they worked however i felt too wooley headed in the mornings and was worried about driving so i stopped taking them, you may be fine but you wont know until you try. I know your shoulder is painful so is worth a try.

I tried amitriptyline for 5 weeks to help with a back complaint and felt absolutely dead to the world, it was great for the nerve pain and certainly helps you to sleep, but during waking hours I was walking around like a zombie. Much like most drugs some people tolerate it well and others not, so the only way of knowing if it is right for you is by giving it a go, hope you have a better experience than I did!🙂

I haven't taken it, but I have heard it is prescribed for people in pain to help them relax. The theory is if you are relaxed it will relieve the pain.

hiya my husband takes this...hes on it because he had a very bad back injury about 15 years ago and had nerve dammage because of it...the doc told him they calm nerve pain...as they calm the nerve endings, he has never had a problem with them and they do work for him

It is very good for nerve pain and when I was still in nursing it was used a lot with amputee's for phantom pain. I was on it for 10 years for pain relief and it worked very well. It does make you very sleepy and woolly headed and can have zombie effects as well.. I ended up on the anti-depressant dose due to depression and that did make me feel like a zombie. I started on 25mg at night for pain relief.

I take 25mg nightly, and couldn't live without it. I have chronic pain from a pelvis condition, without amitriptyline I cant leave the house, let alone have some sort of life.

I was on 150mg at one point when my pelvis was much worse, and at that point I did feel dead to the world as others have said, but at 25mg it's a tiny dose and very unlikely to make you feel poorly.

Hand on heart for me I couldn't live without it. And I detest anti-depressants, but this works very differently from the problematic ones like seroxat.

Have not taken it but hope it shifts some of the pain in your shoulder Carole x

Thanks everyone. I have now taken them along with the new 100mg diclofenac sustained relase so will see what happens...

You'll be in bed in 20 mins 😉

You'll be in bed in 20 mins 😉

LOL hubby has just ordered me upstairs as I was nodding off on the chair 😉 😱

Hope you got a good nights sleep Carol?

Hope you got a good nights sleep Carol?

Yep I did Lucy, started a new thread... Think the diclofenac and amitriptyline are working :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back