Ambulance staff in GMB vote for strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ambulance staff and other health workers in the GMB union have voted in favour of strike action in a dispute over pay.

In the ballot, 78% of members in England and Northern Ireland voted in favour of strike action.

They will join other staff, including nurses, midwives and porters, in a four-hour walkout on 13 October.

Ministers have given NHS staff a 1% increase, but not for those who get automatic progression-in-the-job rises.

These are designed to reward professional development and are given to about half of staff and are worth 3% a year on average.

But the decision by ministers went against the recommendation of the independent pay review board, which had called for an across-the-board rise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29442643

That report has twisted the figures a little giving the impression that 78% of members want to strike.

The turnout was only 23%

The result was 78% in favour of strike action and 91% in favour of
action short of a strike with a turnout of 23%. The pay offer is a 1%
unconsolidated offer for 2014 for those who get it and a further 1%
unconsolidated offer in 2015 for those who get it.

It's like the 70's where the few make it hard for the many and will cause them to lose more than the amount they are asking for in pay.

If people feel the need to strike and make their voices heard there must surely be ways to take certain action without compromising public safety-
Refusing to complete massive of paperwork for example
(but I suppose that would expose them to risk of litigation in the event of a critical incident or complaint)

t's like the 70's where the few make it hard for the many and will cause them to lose more than the amount they are asking for in pay.

Sigh
I was only 5 in the 1978 but recall power cuts, excitement of using candles etc
My dad- now in his mid 70s, hated Margaret Thatcher but voted for her out of desperation. He was(is) highly skilled in his work and appreciated favourable working conditions, workers rights etc but saw how this was being abused by the Unions( or some union members. We chatted about this recently- he openly acknowledges the need for unionisation due to erosion of rights and dignity at work but resents how people used to play the system - examples such as making it appear as though you were in work when not, or working ridiculously slowly on one job
Why can't we ever achieve the right balance
People's rights at work nowadays are often non existent with abysm treatment
My partner is in education ( full time research student) and many of the empoyees at the university do not know if they are still employed there until a few days prior to term starting- this is a wealthy university, so austerity to a certain extent maybe necessary but some people seem to be ale to capitalise very nicely at the expense of others..

Couldn't agree more Abi amd would agree that Ambulance drivers along with police and firemen do a very very difficult job and are almost certainly deserving of more. However a turnout of 23% of the membership of which not all personnel will be members and suddenly you have 78% of 23% which in reality will be a little over 10% of the total have voted to make life difficult for all.

I don't see how that is right at all and would say that if they had 78% of the total work force I would stand there with them for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back