Ambulance speeding tickets prompt call for exemption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Emergency vehicles should be exempt from speed cameras, according to the Scottish Conservatives.

The call comes after figures showed the Scottish Ambulance Service has been issued with more than 2,200 speeding tickets in less than two years.

In order to avoid a fine, ambulance staff must fill out a form to prove they were attending an emergency at the time the vehicle was caught speeding.

The Tories want that process simplified.

Figures obtained through a Freedom of Information request by the Scottish Conservatives, showed that the ambulance service received 1,161 speeding tickets or notifications of speeding tickets in 2012.

Between January and August this year it received 1,062 of these: an average of four ambulances being issued with a ticket every day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-25527721

Seems crazy to me :( One commenter says that speed cameras are there to ensure safe driving in certain zones, but they clearly don't understand that the recognisable sirens of emergency sirens are something to be observed as a normal part of driving skills. As a pedestrian, I don't step into the road if I hear a siren in the distance, I wait for it to pass, as should other road users 🙄

Someone in an office NEEDS to be paid off ! What a waste of paper 😡

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back