Amazing, but shockingly good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrvineHimself

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So, I cut out the Empagliflozin 4 months ago and, a few days later, attended Desmond's where the dietician suggested I chill out with the diet. Her rational being that since I was concentrating on my HBA1c as oppose to instantaneous BG levels, I could afford to eat chocolate cake and other delicacies providing, over the 4 month interval between test, I maintained the overall balance. Of course, I immediately went out and bought a delicious chocolate cake.

Anyway, I had some good news over Christmas, and, combined with my more relaxed diet, fully expected this particular HBA1c result to be up in 70 mmol/mol range. As a result, you can imagine my surprise when I logged in to get my results I found my HBA1c to be 36 mmol/mol. :D

TestResultsHistory.png

I am obviously going to have to work harder on my blood pressure, which is an ongoing struggle, but overall, recognising I have been a very bad boy over the last four months, I am extremely surprised at my best result so far.:rofl:

Irvine

An interesting way of illustrating your stats @IrvineHimself and in your case is a good way of pointing out that your highish blood pressure is a separate issue.

I'm one of those who, like your dietitian, is more of the opinion that chiiling out, understanding the issues and using common sense to handle them can be more helpful than rushing about searching for the perfect, far out diet. Has worked for me and you and maybe some others could, with beneit, think about things that way. Won't suit everybody - maybe you need to be of a certain age where life experience encourages a more laid back approach to dealing with things.

My interpretation: You've lost a whole lot of weight => fixed your glucose metabolism => you don't have to stress about carbs because your bod will take care of things, as it does with non-diabetics. Next up: getting BP sorted.

I'm one of those who, like your dietitian, is more of the opinion that chiiling out, understanding the issues and using common sense to handle them can be more helpful than rushing about searching for the perfect, far out diet.

I agree 100%

I have got a mathematical mind, so I tend to think of things as the area under the curve [calculus]. If I am targeting my HBA1c, then, as my dietician pointed out, I don't need to worry about instantaneous BG pinpricks tests. So, while I still use a target daily carb intake of between 75 and 150 grams as reference, providing I keep the 4 monthly carb intake to around 12kg, my HBA1c is going to be below 40 mmol/mol.

Alternatively, if I have a couple of slices of chocolate cake, I need to adjust my carb intake for the next few days to compensate.

It's a way of looking at things which I think many people on this forum may benefit from. Although, members should note that It won't work for everybody. The plain fact is that some people benefit from a rigid, inflexible target and do not have the discipline to take a more flexible approach.

Interesting. Am in agreement with allowing a treat or having something you shouldn't in certain social situations as its just more convenient. Unfortunately for me I am reminded by my own body that I have gone too far with dizziness, numb right foot and pins in needles in the toes which is not nice. Obviously some will feel nothing by going over the limit but it seems in my case too much nerve damage was already done pre diagnosis. On the plus side it seems nerves can repair to some extent but it takes a long time, by behaving I get no foot problems at all anymore.

Congratulations on your results @IrvineHimself

1706522345457.gif

Glad you had such a pleasant surprise. 🙂

An interesting way of showing your results against reference ranges, but I really wish the language wasn‘t so judgy. I don’t think there’s any need to be using terms like ‘poor’ :(

I’ve been chilled with my diet from the start. I read the information on the Diabetes UK website, what I can eat, and I followed it. It sounds ridiculous that I said I’ve been relaxed from the start. I didn’t just go my own way! I’m correcting this. It says on this website I can eat anything in moderation and using a slimming club it’s what I’ve done! I’ve been made a fool of on this because of what I eat but it’s worked for me. I very rarely have cakes, but like yourself I went mental over the holidays. I eat oranges and other fresh fruits, meat, all vegetables and low fat yogurt. I drink options chocolate but it does have a % of real sugar in it. If I go too far even in remission, I get horrible sweats, hair soaked everything, is this common with too much fat and carbs ? I am very happy you’re getting good results and following your own path with the dieticians help. Can I ask what Desmond’s is ? Ty

Last edited:
.... dizziness, numb right foot and pins in needles in the toes which is not nice.
Believe me, I really know. Those particular symptoms are why I expected my HBA1c to be through the roof. Since diagnosis, they have never really gone away or improved, even though I do not think anyone could find fault with my BG control.

With regard to the chart it is compiled by My Diabetes My Way. I recall that @trophywench mentioned an English equivalent?

@Jinty2001, Desmonds is a suite of educational course for diabetics. (I think they do courses for all types of diabetes) Because of COVID, it took nearly two years before I got my appointment, by which time, thanks to this forum, I already had a good grasp of the subject matter. However I went anyway in case I had missed something important, which of course I had: I hadn't quite grasped how the subtle difference between using a BG meter and concentrating on the HBA1c affects daily BG control.

Last edited:
I get horrible sweats, hair soaked everything, is this common with too much fat and carbs ?
Possibly, but I would definitely talk to my Docs about it. It could be a symptom of some other problem: high blood pressure, dickey heart or even menopause. (I believe there is a similar [though less extreme] male equivalent)

Possibly, but I would definitely talk to my Docs about it. It could be a symptom of some other problem: high blood pressure, dickey heart or even menopause. (I believe there is a similar [though less extreme] male equivalent)

Believe me, I really know. Those particular symptoms are why I expected my HBA1c to be through the roof. Since diagnosis, they have never really gone away or improved, even though I do not think anyone could find fault with my BG control.

With regard to the chart it is compiled by My Diabetes My Way. I recall that @trophywench mentioned an English equivalent?

@Jinty2001, Desmonds is a suite of educational course for diabetics. (I think they do courses for all types of diabetes) Because of COVID, it took nearly two years before I got my appointment, by which time, thanks to this forum, I already had a good grasp of the subject matter. However I went anyway in case I had missed something important, which of course I had: I hadn't quite grasped the how the subtle difference between using a BG meter and concentrating on the HBA1c affects daily BG control.
So, I cut out the Empagliflozin 4 months ago and, a few days later, attended Desmond's where the dietician suggested I chill out with the diet. Her rational being that since I was concentrating on my HBA1c as oppose to instantaneous BG levels, I could afford to eat chocolate cake and other delicacies providing, over the 4 month interval between test, I maintained the overall balance. Of course, I immediately went out and bought a delicious chocolate cake.

Anyway, I had some good news over Christmas, and, combined with my more relaxed diet, fully expected this particular HBA1c result to be up in 70 mmol/mol range. As a result, you can imagine my surprise when I logged in to get my results I found my HBA1c to be 36 mmol/mol. :D

View attachment 29038

I am obviously going to have to work harder on my blood pressure, which is an ongoing struggle, but overall, recognising I have been a very bad boy over the last four months, I am extremely surprised at my best result so far.:rofl:

Irvine

Past menopause it’s mostly when I go overboard tbh with chops or whatever Ty

Could be the fat, I get something similar if I have a really heavy traditional breakfast with devilled kidneys and cream garnished with liver, lamb chops, fried eggs, mushrooms and traditional Cumberland sausage....

Man, my mouth is really watering. I think I am going to take a walk down to my local butcher.:D

@Jinty2001, Desmonds is a suite of educational course for diabetics. (I think they do courses for all types of diabetes) Because of COVID, it took nearly two years before I got my appointment, by which time, thanks to this forum, I already had a good grasp of the subject matter. However I went anyway in case I had missed something important, which of course I had: I hadn't quite grasped the how the subtle difference between using a BG meter and concentrating on the HBA1c affects daily BG control.

View attachment 29038

Irvine

I do low fat 3% beef burgers from m and s , bacon medallions, sausages 70 % pork, use small air fryer and I have that copper egg cooker thing can do mushrooms in it as well tomato also. I forgot to post this and forgot what I was typing. Senior moment lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back