Am I wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annette&Bert

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I wanted to get the opinions of others who might be able to throw more light on my mindset. One of my biggest fears is being taken into hispital. I say this because of the reputations of the hospitals in my area, added to the fact that all my family, those whoever cared about me and vice versa are deceased, so I am very much alone. I have reached a conclusion rightly or wrongly, that even if our diabetes is well controlled we might still die of that awful description I read now and then; “she/he died of diabetic complications”. The thought of this terrifies me and I fear I am almost becoming paranoid. I feel very isolated sometimes and feel I have too much time on my hands to possibly overthink things!

As someone recently diagnosed with complications and going through lots of tests I can identify, I spoke to the DUk helpline today and felt so much better, I am waiting for peer counselling as well with a local disability charity near me and hoping can get better support once I can attend support groups, my blackouts are too unstable at the moment.
Isolation is hard, my husband works long shifts can be out 14 hrs some days so totally get how isolated you must feel.
Sending x

Thanks Sarah, my husband had a progressively worse physical condition for 21 years I had to do everything for him while also working long shifts in ATC full time, not complaining as I would do it all again but at least I had no health issues. He died in 2021 but it was inevitable, but always sudden when it happens. He was a poor soul and he never complaine.

I wanted to get the opinions of others who might be able to throw more light on my mindset. One of my biggest fears is being taken into hispital. I say this because of the reputations of the hospitals in my area, added to the fact that all my family, those whoever cared about me and vice versa are deceased, so I am very much alone. I have reached a conclusion rightly or wrongly, that even if our diabetes is well controlled we might still die of that awful description I read now and then; “she/he died of diabetic complications”. The thought of this terrifies me and I fear I am almost becoming paranoid. I feel very isolated sometimes and feel I have too much time on my hands to possibly overthink things!
I've been isolated for about 30 years. But then I could be living with a control freak. So it works both ways. I think a lot about these things. Probably a bit too much. During the pandemic people were dieing on ventilators simply because they were not physically strong enough to take it. Going into hospital would send my anxiety off the charts even before I got there.

that’s exactly how I feel Richard.

Thanks Sarah, my husband had a progressively worse physical condition for 21 years I had to do everything for him while also working long shifts in ATC full time, not complaining as I would do it all again but at least I had no health issues. He died in 2021 but it was inevitable, but always sudden when it happens. He was a poor soul and he never complaine.
Sending a massive hug, sorry for your loss and no wonder you feel isolated, you devoted everything, I worry same for my husband if my health gets worse, so glad your talking to us all x

Yes, anyone can get diabetic complications. Damage can have been done before you’re diagnosed, or it can happen whilst you have diabetes even if control is good, or can happen whilst you’re ill as it’s harder to manage blood sugars then.

Yes, anyone can get diabetic complications. Damage can have been done before you’re diagnosed, or it can happen whilst you have diabetes even if control is good, or can happen whilst you’re ill as it’s harder to manage blood sugars then.
Lucy it’s funny you should say so because I was diagnosed in 2016 but with the knowledge of many symptoms I have known since, I think I had the condition for around 18 months prior to diagnosis.

Thanks for sharing your worries and concerns @Annette&Bertie

I’m sure they will have resinated with many others.

I think all we can do, is to do our best to keep ourselves healthy, and to take any precautionary or preventative treatment or meds that evidence suggests may be helpful - particularly for heart health (I believe heart attack / stroke / heart failure are the most common cause of death for people living with diabetes).

Look after yourself

Thanks and I feel the same about heart health too. I had a mini stroke in 2019 had every scan going and the consultant told me there was no damage to my brain at all, also that my heart and caroted arteries were all normal, which was a great relief. He said as a precaution he would prescribe Clopidogrel 75mg. which I now take daily. My diabetes is well controlled because I am very strict, but I still worry.
Thanks for all the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back