Am I Going The Right Way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faceman

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Received my Hba1C result on Friday and was told it was 5.6, with my cholesterol being 3.3. I've now lost over a stone and a half since being diagnosed four months ago, I walk for 30 minutes a day five times per week, (considering that a lazy swine like me only walked to the kitchen before I was diagnosed!:D), I have my five fruit and veg per day. That's up from 0 fruit and veg. I don't eat chocolate or cakes although I did feel a little guilty eating an Apple & Rhubarb crumble for my dessert, (First time I've had a dessert since Christmas). I know this is my first Hba1C and I feel really pleased about the result but should I be? Is it a false dawn or am I going the right way to controlling my diabetes? Please tell me that I've got it under control!:confused:

Faceman - I think you have done really well and seem to be on a good path to managing your diabetes. Keep up the good work

I prefer to think of managing the condition rather than controlling it as I find it throws little flurries of challenges at me from time to time - just to let me know that it is there and somehow operating beyond the limits of my very human understanding

Yep, my wife keeps saying that I musn't let Diabetes control me and I'm finding that day by day I'm managing the condition. Why I'm even thinking of slowly eating a chocolate easter egg that a friend bought for me, (although it will take months for me to eat!), however I will ask my nurse about this.

Thanks for the kind comment, I intend to continue. As a nurse (albeit a mental health one), you'd think I know about Hba1C, but as days go on, I find I'm learning more and more!

Well done!

That is a near perfect result - on both fronts. Well done faceman! 🙂
I do not think you are in a honeymoon period. It is the positive impact of diet/lifestyle change.
As you may have read on these boards there are so many variants and everyone deals with their diabetes differently.
My way of explaining Type 2 to the uninitiated is that the pancreas has worked so hard, it gets tired and it cannot produce enough insulin any more - (very simple I know - but it works!) and there is no way of telling that you pancreas may not get more tired in the future, that will involve a crystal ball :D but you are certainly helping it so much at the moment.

Well done and keep up the good work.

Faceman, those are terrific results and I think you've done a tremendous job at tackling those lifestyle changes. Hopefully, as well as the good numbers, you are also feeling better generally due to the healthier diet and extra exercise! Good luck to you, in time these changes to your lifestyle will become the norm for you and feel less of a challenge.🙂

Yep, my wife keeps saying that I musn't let Diabetes control me and I'm finding that day by day I'm managing the condition. Why I'm even thinking of slowly eating a chocolate easter egg that a friend bought for me, (although it will take months for me to eat!), however I will ask my nurse about this.

Thanks for the kind comment, I intend to continue. As a nurse (albeit a mental health one), you'd think I know about Hba1C, but as days go on, I find I'm learning more and more!

You sound like a fine example to us all Faceman. I hope you dont feel dispondant this is great work and I know how hard it is.

I am a nurse too, it doesnt make it any easier (sometimes I would say abit harder as people have certain expectations of you). I dont sweat that one, as I like to remind my consultant if he dares to use it against me that I was actually SPELLING diabetes wrong until I actually got the disease it so please treat me the same as everyone else!

Keep up the good work, what you have done is good motiviation for me!

Thanks everyone for those kind words.

Northerner, I think it was you that told me when I was first diagnosed that with my diet change due to diabetes, I wouldn't get up in the morning feeling like crap or words to that effect and you are right. I get up now in the mornings with a lot more energy and feel better in tackling the day.

To be honest, looking back at myself before i was diagnosed but I'm embarassed now at my eating habits, (i.e. eating a Mars Bar most days and sometimes before 10 in the morning!😱) Now, the only thing I eat in the morning is my breakfast, (either toast or cereals unless I stay somewhere and then it's a full english) or a banana/grapes if I get a bit peckish. Diabetes did me a favour. It got me to change my lifestyle by exercising more, eating healthier and drastically cutting back on the amount of rubbish I was eating. Something else as well but the support I received from this board has helped so thanks!

Received my Hba1C result on Friday and was told it was 5.6, with my cholesterol being 3.3. I've now lost over a stone and a half since being diagnosed four months ago, I walk for 30 minutes a day five times per week, (considering that a lazy swine like me only walked to the kitchen before I was diagnosed!:D), I have my five fruit and veg per day. That's up from 0 fruit and veg. I don't eat chocolate or cakes although I did feel a little guilty eating an Apple & Rhubarb crumble for my dessert, (First time I've had a dessert since Christmas). I know this is my first Hba1C and I feel really pleased about the result but should I be? Is it a false dawn or am I going the right way to controlling my diabetes? Please tell me that I've got it under control!:confused:
Dear Faceman,

Congratulations on your excellent HbA1c. You are certainly doing what is needed at this time to keep your BS stable. However, as Admin intimated Type 2 is a progressive condition and with time your beta-cells will become less active. Accordingly, as time passes you may find that you need to take more active carbohydrate control in order to keep your HbA1c close to your current figure

Regards Dodger

Faceman, your description of your previous life style sounds exactly the same as me. I have also lost a stone, but am finding it difficult. My cholesterol is down to 2.55, but my HBa1c is still just over 7.

Congratulations. Your results make me feel good that it is possible. I'll try harder.

JOHN

Thanks everyone for those kind words.

Northerner, I think it was you that told me when I was first diagnosed that with my diet change due to diabetes, I wouldn't get up in the morning feeling like crap or words to that effect and you are right. I get up now in the mornings with a lot more energy and feel better in tackling the day.

To be honest, looking back at myself before i was diagnosed but I'm embarassed now at my eating habits, (i.e. eating a Mars Bar most days and sometimes before 10 in the morning!😱) Now, the only thing I eat in the morning is my breakfast, (either toast or cereals unless I stay somewhere and then it's a full english) or a banana/grapes if I get a bit peckish. Diabetes did me a favour. It got me to change my lifestyle by exercising more, eating healthier and drastically cutting back on the amount of rubbish I was eating. Something else as well but the support I received from this board has helped so thanks!

That's such a positive way to look at it. It's easy to get a bit bogged down and start to look at the lifestyle changes negatively, you're an inspiration!

Faceman, your description of your previous life style sounds exactly the same as me. I have also lost a stone, but am finding it difficult. My cholesterol is down to 2.55, but my HBa1c is still just over 7.

Congratulations. Your results make me feel good that it is possible. I'll try harder.

JOHN

I understand what you're going through! Don't give up. I still have my dark days, in fact the nurse has advised me today that I don't eat the chocolate egg that was bought for me so I'm a little down at the mo! Just keep plugging on!

congratulations on your results and the work you've done to turn things around.

If you want the egg, I would go for it. You can obviously tolerate a fair amount of carbohydrate- cereals, bread, bananas, and your A1c is excellent. probably not best to eat the whole thing in one go but small amounts.

With all due respect to the practise nurse but I've spoke to a Diabetes Nurse at the hospital I work at and she's said that I'm okay to have a little bit of chocolate after a meal. So all's well that end's well!

Faceman, I think the danger that the practice nurse would be concerned about is that she has to deal with people like me - somehow just a little piece of chocolate would turn into the whole thing. My own health care team are clear - anything in moderation is ok - for me tho it is easier not to have the taste in the first place as if I don't taste it I don't miss it so much

Hi im just diagnosed last week type 2, what is HBa1c test for?

Hi Lynne, it's a way of measuring your average blood sugar levels over the past 2-3 months. It's different to a 'fingerprick' test with a meter - that just gives a snapshot of your blodd sugar at that time.

Hope this helps! If you look on the very top line of the site there is a link that explains more fully, or click the link below:
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/en/Guide.../Glycated_haemoglobin_HbA1c_and_fructosamine/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back