Am i going mad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suescb

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi,
I am new to this so please bare with me...
I have been having symptoms for a while now so asked for a hbac1 test. Had it yesterday and it has come back as 39 so doctor put normal no action.
I just cant understand why I am having symptoms, I just can't quench my thirst, the fatigue I am experiencing is awful, I work full time but I am falling asleep before emmerdale most nights! I have sores on my stomach which just won't heal and I am very overweight which I know doesn't help.
I have been taking my own readings when I get up and they are around 5.8 to 6.1
Would you go back to gp and ask why I am like this? Could I still be pre diabetic even though the result of hbac1 test says not?
Sorry for all the questions

Hi,
I am new to this so please bare with me...
I have been having symptoms for a while now so asked for a hbac1 test. Had it yesterday and it has come back as 39 so doctor put normal no action.
I just cant understand why I am having symptoms, I just can't quench my thirst, the fatigue I am experiencing is awful, I work full time but I am falling asleep before emmerdale most nights! I have sores on my stomach which just won't heal and I am very overweight which I know doesn't help.
I have been taking my own readings when I get up and they are around 5.8 to 6.1
Would you go back to gp and ask why I am like this? Could I still be pre diabetic even though the result of hbac1 test says not?
Sorry for all the questions
Welcome to the forum.
Certainly your HbA1C indicates that you are unlikely to be diabetic as does the morning reading you are doing yourself.
The symptoms you mention warrant further investigation as it could be something else, vitamin deficiency, anaemia, menopause.
The HbA1C is an average over the previous 3 months so because of that it could mask a very sudden rise in blood glucose in recent weeks, but then the morning readings you are doing are pretty normal.
How long have you had the symptoms?
Non diabetic HbA1C is below 42mmol/mol, prediabetic 42-47mmol/mol and anything over that diabetic.

I agree that those symptoms sound like they need further investigation as diabetes has been ruled out. Generally the intense thirst and toilet trips with diabetes are not triggered until your levels are persistently in double figures, usually around mid teens mmols as that is when the kidneys start to kick in to get rid of the surplus glucose through your urine.... a bit like a sink overflow. The readings you are getting are obviously nowhere near this so you need to push your GP to look for other possible causes. So sorry that you are suffering like this and no further forward with a cause or treatment.

I also think that having eliminated diabetes as a possible cause of the symptoms you describe your GP would have looked at other possibilities. As far as your morning readings are concerned you would need to be consistently getting 7s if there was a possibility of pre-diabetes. In any case, pre-diabetes has no symptoms.

It’s possible the three symptoms you’ve mentioned are unconnected @suescb For example, your stomach sores could be due to sweating or chafing or a fungal thing, your tiredness could be thyroid or anaemia, etc. So you might be looking for two or three answers not just one.

Whatever the cause(s), I hope they’re found soon and you get some improvement. Apart from anything else, it’s horrible being tired.

There is another rate type of diabetes Diabetes Insipidus which is unrelated to Diabetes Mellitus we suffer from. It causes the kidneys to produce excessive urine which may reduce levels of essential nutrients increasing tiredness particularly if you are getting up in the night.I suspect many GPs are not even aware of this condition.

There is another rate type of diabetes Diabetes Insipidus which is unrelated to Diabetes Mellitus we suffer from. It causes the kidneys to produce excessive urine which may reduce levels of essential nutrients increasing tiredness particularly if you are getting up in the night. I suspect many GPs are not even aware of this condition.
Good point. @suescb might want to take a look at what the NHS website says about DI:-

Thankyou so much you have all put my mind at rest to rule diabetes out.
I will definitely try to make an appointment to see my gp

Hope you get some answers soon @suescb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back