am i fat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
31.6 Your result suggests you are obese
Healthy weight range for your height:
8st 6lb - 11st 5lb

I am 78 years old, type 2, 5'7" tall and weigh 14st 5lbs am I over weight ?
You are not classed as overweight but as obese

Maybe I was being overly sensitive but I deliberately did not include the results of the calculator in the thread as I thought the OP may consider it to be too personal.
Plus the calculator includes some tips about handling the results which are best read and interpreted by them. For example, I am not sure the couch to 5K is ideal for a 78 year old but wouldn't want to make that assumption.

I am 78 years old, type 2, 5'7" tall and weigh 14st 5lbs am I over weight ?
Hey @saronie , thanks for reaching out 🙂

Have you discussed this with your Doctor, or raised any of your possible concerns with your healthcare team? Also, if you don't mind answering, how are you managing your T2 currently? This information can help us give the best guidance for you.

You can read more on our website page, 'What's your healthy weight when you have diabetes?', here - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...ating-with-diabetes/whats-your-healthy-weight

If you're looking to lose weight, again, we would always recommend speaking with your doctor first.

We do have some information you may find helpful on our website around weight-loss - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...iabetes/whats-your-healthy-weight/lose-weight

If you have further questions please don't hesitate to ask us, we're all here to help. Should you wish to talk anything through with one of our advisors, the number is at the top right of this page 🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
The way bmi is calculated takes no account of muscle mass - I was overweight when I had a waist measurement of 24 inches.
I can't wear clothes made or designed for women. In my younger days could burst out of them like the hulk by flexing my muscles - I had to stop going to karate because one of the yellow belts responded aggressively to the way I went to heiko dachi stance, but there is no option to add in 'muscular women who are heavy for their size' to the calculation.

there is no option to add in 'muscular women who are heavy for their size' to the calculation
I know it’s possible but I don’t really see many extremely musclar 78 year old women around to gain a bmi of 31?

The way bmi is calculated takes no account of muscle mass
That's true but as @saronie is 78 I'm not convinced that it's muscle mass that's returned a BMI of 31.6

I managed to restart heaving knitting machines around a few years after diagnosis - serviced 32 of them in one week this summer at the height of the heatwave. I'm 72.

Semper progrediens.

I managed to restart heaving knitting machines around a few years after diagnosis - serviced 32 of them in one week this summer at the height of the heatwave. I'm 72.

Semper progrediens.
What’s your bmi?

@saronie - is there anything we can help you with? The chatter on your thread seems more talking about you than with you.

Let us know if we can help in any way.

Are you able to take a look at yourself and judge whether you have excess weight? There are various parts of the body that might demonstrate that perhaps based on how you once looked or weighed?

I had a consultant who classed me as obese when I am actually only slightly overweight! I can only assume he missed that I am overtall as I am in a wheelchair! :(

I asked my bro and he said at 78 I wouldn't give a **** 🙂

I asked my bro and he said at 78 I wouldn't give a **** 🙂

Because of Covid (the universal excuse) I was transferred by Adult (Don't) Care to a care home after my amputation. Being seriously overweight caused a lot of issues there varying from mobility to daily care. It also adversely affects diabetic control and the development of complications!

Because of Covid (the universal excuse) I was transferred by Adult (Don't) Care to a care home after my amputation. Being seriously overweight caused a lot of issues there varying from mobility to daily care. It also adversely affects diabetic control and the development of complications!
Bro is a muggle, he doesn't get it but is sensible as a matter of course anyway. 🙂

Maybe I was being overly sensitive but I deliberately did not include the results of the calculator in the thread as I thought the OP may consider it to be too personal.
Plus the calculator includes some tips about handling the results which are best read and interpreted by them. For example, I am not sure the couch to 5K is ideal for a 78 year old but wouldn't want to make that assumption.
I couldn't agree more. That is what I thought, was quite shocked when I scrolled down to see people had actually checked and called the poor guy obese.

I couldn't agree more. That is what I thought, was quite shocked when I scrolled down to see people had actually checked and called the poor guy obese.
To be fair to these posters the op did ask - quite bluntly. They were answered with statements of fact in relation to the bmi calculator and without any personal judgements.

Sadly fear of upsetting people (about all manner of subjects) can be taken to the extreme of hindering very thing they want or need the most. Stating the facts, especially when sought out, is very different to shaming, belittling or otherwise being unkind.

People make such a thing about weight and fatness.
I have always been heavier than expected - but I could swing by my arms for a long time into my adult years and used to alarm people by crossing the gantries by that method to reach a door which gave access to a bridge between the 'halls' where I worked. I have been told I could not possibly weight as much as I did and have a body measurement of what it was. I can't tell you my BMI as I don't weigh myself after decades of being abused for what I weigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back