Alternatives to hydro stop??

Status
Not open for further replies.

gail2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
After my last stay in hospital and being forced 3 times to have hydro stop 😡 Im determined to carry something different to this around with me. I know some of you carry babyjellies with you. A friend with kids suggested fruit slurpers from Tesco, they are rather yummy, come in a 90g pouch with a screw top and come in different flavours nutrition label as follows Energy 225kj/55kcal, Protein 0.3g, Carbohydrate 12.5g(of which sugars 11.5g) Fat 0.1g,Fiber 1.4, Sodium trace Is this any good to treat a hypo? please guys. Or any ideas for alternatives
Thankyou
gail

I would have thought that 11.5g of sugar is just about right to treat a hypo Gail. I normally have two jelly babies, maybe three if I've dipped below 3.0. A jelly baby is 5g of sugar. Some people go for those small cans of coke, or lucozade, but I prefer to have something to chew rather than drink 🙂

Carol uses the Glucotabs or Dextroenergy to treat hypos. Occasionally, when she's really low, she has a minican of Coke.

Current hypo remedies of choice are Fruit Pastilles. I like Skittles too. Both good in pockets.

We always have Lucozade in for anything under 3. A couple of swigs is about right for me (a third of the little bottles is about 20g CHO)

Never liked dextro/gluco/plaster-of-paris tabs meself 😉

Oh and Christmas is coming so I suspect Quality Street might come into the picture (I know... I know...) 🙂

Never liked dextro/gluco/plaster-of-paris tabs meself 😉

Oh and Christmas is coming so I suspect Quality Street might come into the picture (I know... I know...) 🙂

Lol, that's the exact reason she's using them. I don't want her to like the treatment too much!!

Yes and Quality Streets are her favourites too. She gets a tin for Christmas every year. (sharing with us all though!!)

I too am not a fan of glucotabs of any variety (dextrose, glucotabs, dex4) so I usually keep small cartons of OJ in stock. I bought Jelly Babies last night as they were on offer in Sainsburys but I ended up eating way too many in my hypo state :(

there is something that can be got on prescription called hypo fit, I haven't yet tried it yet, but apparently it's better than hypostop- which I agree is vile

there is something that can be got on prescription called hypo fit, I haven't yet tried it yet, but apparently it's better than hypostop- which I agree is vile

My DSN gave me some of that, it's mint flavoured and quite nice. 🙂

I am detemined not to have hypo stop again in fact the last time in hospital when they tryed to give it to me Im told that I was actually fighting them off and being my normal cow like self lol Am going to check with my gp about the slurpers when I see him Friday. Thanks everyone
gail

It took me 20 years to realise that Lucozade was the best thing to treat my hypos - and another 20 years of being pleased that I discovered it. For me it works really quickly but I don't like the taste so I do my best to make sure that I don't need it too often - although I can sometimes, in a bad week, get through 3 or 4 small bottles or even more 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back