Alternatives to Carbs and Cals App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kopiert

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As has already been discussed on the forum the Carbs and Cals app has now been redesigned and turned into a subscription. I have tried it (I qualify for the year upgrade) and I am not getting on with at all. It has gone from a slightly clunky, basic app that worked pretty well to a pretty but complicated app with tiny writing and a confusing UI. I don't mind spending money on a sub if I feel I am getting value, I don't think I will from this. At the price it needs to be very good and it needs to justify itself.

I was wondering if any one here has tried other apps to help them measure and track carb intake. I did use one called Lifesum - which was good, but seemed to be focussed more on calories than carbs. I might go back to it - at least the free version. Any others I should try.

Requirements
Carbs are central
Easy ingredients / meal input
Will show other nutrients Fat/Sat fat/ protein etc

Nick

I like nutracheck, £23.99 for 12 months but there’s a 7 day free trial first. Can send some screenshots if that helps.

As has already been discussed on the forum the Carbs and Cals app has now been redesigned and turned into a subscription. I have tried it (I qualify for the year upgrade) and I am not getting on with at all. It has gone from a slightly clunky, basic app that worked pretty well to a pretty but complicated app with tiny writing and a confusing UI. I don't mind spending money on a sub if I feel I am getting value, I don't think I will from this. At the price it needs to be very good and it needs to justify itself.

I was wondering if any one here has tried other apps to help them measure and track carb intake. I did use one called Lifesum - which was good, but seemed to be focussed more on calories than carbs. I might go back to it - at least the free version. Any others I should try.

Requirements
Carbs are central
Easy ingredients / meal input
Will show other nutrients Fat/Sat fat/ protein etc

Nick
Hi, Nick,
I also have tried the app and regret doing so. I agree with your review and comments. Too expensive for the poor return and I won't be renewing my sub.

I have the book and found that helpful after I started carb counting; I also have found it helpful to put post-it note amidst the book, with any point I found relevant and helpful to me on a page where the food item occurs. I don't use the book so much now, generally I've got the figures locked into my brain and if we are trying a new food item I go to the packaging first.

I shall follow your thread with interest.

Thanks - I will give it go if they have a free trial
I like that on the phone app I can set it to just show carbohydrates as the default, rather than calories. But then all the other nutrients are there and easy to switch to if you want to see them. It’s a UK based food database, with pictures and all the main supermarkets/brands as well as generic items, to help you identify the right foods. Can put in your own recipes for meals you make frequently etc.

There is also myfitnesspal which is free I think, but it’s very American which is why I prefer nutracheck.

Hi, Nick,
I also have tried the app and regret doing so. I agree with your review and comments. Too expensive for the poor return and I won't be renewing my sub.

I have the book and found that helpful after I started carb counting; I also have found it helpful to put post-it note amidst the book, with any point I found relevant and helpful to me on a page where the food item occurs. I don't use the book so much now, generally I've got the figures locked into my brain and if we are trying a new food item I go to the packaging first.

I shall follow your thread with interest.
I agree. I used the book a lot in the beginning, and still occasionally when trying some new.

I like that on the phone app I can set it to just show carbohydrates as the default, rather than calories. But then all the other nutrients are there and easy to switch to if you want to see them. It’s a UK based food database, with pictures and all the main supermarkets/brands as well as generic items, to help you identify the right foods. Can put in your own recipes for meals you make frequently etc.

There is also myfitnesspal which is free I think, but it’s very American which is why I prefer nutracheck.
I did try one which I think was US-centric. I got very confused with net carbs 🙂

I like nutracheck as it has a very comprehensive list of UK Restaurant and pub chains meals which comes in very handy if eating out as they give you the carb value for the meal , saving a lot of guesswork.
And as others have said a huge database of UK supermarket food too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back