Alternative to statins

Felinia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm pleased to say my diabetic review went pretty well yesterday. My BP and feet were very good. I had taken my food diary with me and she made some positive suggestions which I will try. However my cholesterol is high, and I'm severely intolerant to statins. She looked up my records and saw that I had tried 3 different ones over an 18 month period, with just about every severe side effect possible.
She told me there is an alternative, based on plant stanols (can't remember the name but I think it started Bez something or other). She is going to take advice from the GP in case there are any contra-indications with my other medications and medical history. Does anyone on this forum take an alternative to statins, and if so, how do you get on with it? Any side effects? Thanks.

Is it Ezetimibe? I have taken for a few months now, no side effects I have noticed. Due to go for bloods to see if it is having any effect on lipids, but no time at moment. (Only option for our GPs for getting bloods is local hospital, and the wait time has been dreadful - 2 hours plus not unusual - for the last few years, so it will have to wait until exam marking finished.)

Is it Ezetimibe? I have taken for a few months now, no side effects I have noticed. Due to go for bloods to see if it is having any effect on lipids, but no time at moment. (Only option for our GPs for getting bloods is local hospital, and the wait time has been dreadful - 2 hours plus not unusual - for the last few years, so it will have to wait until exam marking finished.)
Yes it could be, or a brand name of the same drug. Thanks for your feedback.

Whilst your cholesterol is hugh it is not staggeringly so. You might get a 15% to 20% reduction by taking Benecol (there is a low sugar version), a plant stenol daily. In addition there is now a six-monthly injection of Inclusiran but the NICE clinical guidelines are very strict and at £1000 a shot compared to 1p or 2p a pop for most statins rarely an option. Also there is no real long term data.

Whilst your cholesterol is hugh it is not staggeringly so. You might get a 15% to 20% reduction by taking Benecol (there is a low sugar version), a plant stenol daily. In addition there is now a six-monthly injection of Inclusiran but the NICE clinical guidelines are very strict and at £1000 a shot compared to 1p or 2p a pop for most statins rarely an option. Also there is no real long term data.
I've been taking Benecol drinks (or equivalent) since coming off statins, at my GP's suggestion. I did get and have maintained a 17% reduction, but I'm still far too high for a diabetic. We'll see what happens if my GP OK's a non statin drug.

Hope it does the trick

Thanks. The DSN actually said it was a new thing, which is why she wanted to check with the GP. So I'll wait and see.
Let us know the outcome - would be interested to hear.

Last edited:
Yes it could be, or a brand name of the same drug. Thanks for your feedback.
My GP suggested Ezitimbe for me however apparantly it is best taken with a low dosage statin. But after my last numerous blood tests re my liver function, I will see how Ezitimbe benefits on it own .

In case you are tempted by the dubious adverts and claims for Red Rice Yeast Extract the active ingredient is the same one as Lovastatin but its manufacture is unregulated!

Back