Already got Diabetes 2 but today now been given Metaformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antled

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
If anyone can help me with this and give me any support on what food to have. I am totally addicted to chocolate and although I can’t have much of it now I still want something sweet. It’s so difficult as everything has sugar in it. Please can anyone advise of any good cook books, apps, foods thanks Ant

I know that in the US just about everything has added sugar, but in the UK meat, fish, eggs and cheese are carb free, and there are many low carb foods - including high cocoa chocolate.

If anyone can help me with this and give me any support on what food to have. I am totally addicted to chocolate and although I can’t have much of it now I still want something sweet. It’s so difficult as everything has sugar in it. Please can anyone advise of any good cook books, apps, foods thanks Ant
You can still have high cocoa dark chocolate in moderation, but if you like baking there are some recipes for low carb cakes and biscuits as well as savoury dishes on the website sugarfreelondoner.
For ideas for low carb meals and menu plans have a look at this link. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

Welcome to the forum @Antled

One of the biggest questions when trying to get to grips with your diabetes is often ‘what can I eat’ and while there are obvious things like chocolate, cakes, biscuits, sweets and sugary drinks that you will want to cut out straight away, you might be surprised how much *all* carbohydrate affects your BG levels, including rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, pastry, grains, cereals and many fruits.

That doesn’t mean you have to avoid those things entirely, but keeping portions reasonable, and bulking meals up with lower carb veggies, protein, and good fats (protein and fats help you feel fuller for longer).

There are a variety of meal plans here that might give you some ideas?

Good luck, and keep asking questions 🙂

Hi I am just putting this out there has anyone had problems with there right leg as my leg has been having shooting sharp pains going up my leg and I wanted to know is it the diabetes medication or even anything to do with diabetes. Any help or suggestions please

Hi I am just putting this out there has anyone had problems with there right leg as my leg has been having shooting sharp pains going up my leg and I wanted to know is it the diabetes medication or even anything to do with diabetes. Any help or suggestions please
I’d recommend speaking to your GP for advice

Ok thanks it seems better today but I have heard that this can sometimes be start of diabetes

Welcome to the forum @Antled

One of the biggest questions when trying to get to grips with your diabetes is often ‘what can I eat’ and while there are obvious things like chocolate, cakes, biscuits, sweets and sugary drinks that you will want to cut out straight away, you might be surprised how much *all* carbohydrate affects your BG levels, including rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, pastry, grains, cereals and many fruits.

That doesn’t mean you have to avoid those things entirely, but keeping portions reasonable, and bulking meals up with lower carb veggies, protein, and good fats (protein and fats help you feel fuller for longer).

There are a variety of meal plans here that might give you some ideas?

Good luck, and keep asking questions 🙂
Good Morning

Thank you for your reply.

Is there any good snack bars that are sugar free and where can I get these.

I love cadburys chocolate is there any chocolate or brands you know which may be good for me.

Unfortunately I keep wanting something sweet and only chocolate does it.

I am now on medication so I know I have to eat proper meals

Unfortunately only dark chocolate is allowed and then only a couple of squares a day. I now it's tough but after a while of not eating sweet things I lost my sugar cravings. Maybe you can look for a recipe to make your own snack bar as most of not all manufactured bars are high in carbs. Hope this helps

Good Morning

Thank you for your reply.

I love cadburys chocolate is there any chocolate or brands you know which may be good for me.

I am now on medication so I know I have to eat proper meals
Diabetes isn't just about sugar but all carbs so try not to think just in terms of things being sugar free, you are looking at total carb content.
I too was a Cadbury's chocolate addict and I could easily demolish a large 200g bar of Dairy Milk or the popping candy Creations in an afternoon! It had to stop because I was not able to be disciplined enough, so I had no chocolate for about 2 months and then gradually introduced dark chocolate. You are aiming for at least 70% cocoa solids to reduce the sugar content. I break a square of this into 4 and have each quarter with a spoon of peanut butter to bulk it out and make it more satisfying and I might just have half a square a day.
As regards sweet snack bars, the Nature Valley Protein bars are about 10g carbs per bar. The salted caramel and peanut and chocolate chip or coconut and white chocolate if you can find them are sweet and satisfying, but again I started having difficulty limiting myself to just one as they come in multipacks of 3 or 4 (can't remember which) and I would want to go back to have another until the pack was empty. In the end I stopped buying them both because they were a temptation but also because they are highly processed and I am trying to eat cleaner, but they did tide me over needing a sweet treat for a while. There is a lot of science goes into these foods to make them extremely attractive and addictive even, so you do have to be wary and be prepared to call time if you are losing control. I think @Leadinglights limits herself to just half of one.... I can't be that disciplined, so I had to cut them altogether!

Ultimately, you are looking to change your tastes so you don't crave that sweetness so much and can find enjoyment in less sweet things.

I’ve seen Nature Valley and Kind mentioned by some people, but I think they are particular ones, not everything from those brands?

Many on the forum opt for a more intense chocolate hit with a few squares of dark chocolate (eg 85% cocoa solids) which gives you a lot more chocolateyness with waaaay less carbohydrate.

Hi @Antled

Cadburys Highlights chocolate drink when made with boiling water is relatively low carb, likewise Options drinks. It could be a way to have something chocolate & sweet tasting without causing your blood glucose to rise too much.

It’s maybe worth a try to reduce chocolate cravings. Have a read of the total carbohydrate content per serving when made with boiling water on the label.

I’ve seen Nature Valley and Kind mentioned by some people, but I think they are particular ones, not everything from those brands?

Many on the forum opt for a more intense chocolate hit with a few squares of dark chocolate (eg 85% cocoa solids) which gives you a lot more chocolateyness with waaaay less carbohydrate.
Yes the Nature Valley ones are the Protein bars as they are only 10 or 12g carbs per bar whereas the normal ones are much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back