Almost expired insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugarcoated

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone, hope you all had a lovely, healthy Christmas.
I just went to renew my insulin in my novo pen when i saw expiry date was 1/23. I assume that is end of Jan 23 rather than beginning.
Is it still safe to use? I do have other insulin vial but seems a waste to throw it away if its still safe.
Thank you

Provided that you have kept it in the fridge I am sure it will be absolutely fine. It is a bit like food. It doesn't suddenly go bad after the best before date. There is usually a much longer margin of error in these dates, so I would certainly use it and not give it another thought. That said, I never look at the dates on my medication, so I wouldn't know if it was close to or past expiry. 🙄

Yes the expiry date is indeed the end of the month not the beginning, and I’d agree with rebrascora that it doesn’t suddenly go off at midnight on the last day! There is definitely some wiggle room so don’t worry about it. The worst that would happen is that it would gradually lose its effectiveness. So if you were finding that you were high a lot of the time and the insulin didn’t seem to be working very well, then it might be worth trying a different batch, otherwise no problem 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back