Almond Milk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like it... 🙂 But I prefer milk, especially having found out a milk capp doesn't affect my BG.

I haven't even tried it - why would anyone need to, neither being lactose intolerant nor vegan?

Mind you it was popular in Spain 50-ish years ago, any town of reasonable size all had at least one horchateria - looked like the old National Milk Bars here! Either almond or tiger nut 'milk'.

They'll prize my proper coffee with cream from my cold dead hand - but only if I didn't manage to drink it all first.

They'll prize my proper coffee with cream from my cold dead hand - but only if I didn't manage to drink it all first.
I started drinking that last year, but stopped when my cholesterol shot up! It was delicious.

I started drinking that last year, but stopped when my cholesterol shot up! It was delicious.
Perhaps you were using too much cream - easy to do. I have seen visitors dump my entire rest of the week supply into their mug in one go.

Perhaps you were using too much cream - easy to do. I have seen visitors dump my entire rest of the week supply into their mug in one go.
I was using two teaspoons. (Or maybe one, I can't remember!)

I was using two teaspoons. (Or maybe one, I can't remember!)
Not excessive - were you losing weight? Cholesterol is used to transport fat in the bloodstream, so can be elevated as more is required during weightloss.

Yes, I was on a low carb weight loss meal plan and used to fast 2 for breakfast on alternate days (Morning treat was coffee with double cream.) - I lost 3 stone in 3 months.

I've read some research in a medical journal that found that weight loss caused a transient rise in cholesterol in a group of people they tested. This was why I refused statins. My level was fine before the diet, but the balance of HDL and LDL was poor and Trigs were high!

I'm just about to book a test for next week, so I wonder if there'll be a change - I've kept the weight fairly steady, apart from a blip last month when I put some on. It's been between 66.85kg and 68kg since before Xmas.

Last edited:
I’m a bit twitchy about almond milk because of the whole ‘how much water is needed’ thing. We tend to have oat milk for the plant-milk drinkers in our house. Often Alpro or Oatly. Some of the supermarket own brands have a bit of a porridgey twang we’ve found.

Personally I am a cow’s milk in tea/coffee person. But we happily use plant milks in cooking.

I’m not going to lie it took me awhile to get use to almond milk for coffees and teas . But I love it and soya milk . As I told my diabetic nurse lady sorry but I’m not giving up my coffees that’s one thing I won’t bargain on and she was fine with it . So my go to is an almond latte with no sugar an even that took me a long time to get my head around to getting use to of not adding sugar to my coffees , I was able to do it with my tea when I was a tea drinker a long time ago . And now I’ve done it with my coffee since I be diagnosed last year .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back