Allergy to adhesive: Dexcom One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fleetwood

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I was diagnosed as Late onset type 1 diabetic last spring and was lucky to get a Dexcom One CGM on prescription shortly after. On the whole I’ve been really happy with it but last time I replaced the sensor discovered a very red area on my skin when I removed the sensor with raised scaly patches and it hasn’t really subsided, still pretty dry and rough over a week later. I change arms each 10 days, but not sensor sites but this is the first time this has happened. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, do you have any advice how to avoid it? Yet another curved ball in diabetes journey…..

I change arms and also change where on the arm I put the sensor @Fleetwood I use the G7 not One but have had no issues. Perhaps it’s just because the site has become irritated over time? I’d let it heal completely and avoid it for a while. Dryness and roughness is ok but any redness or heat needs checking in case you have an infection.

I was diagnosed as Late onset type 1 diabetic last spring and was lucky to get a Dexcom One CGM on prescription shortly after. On the whole I’ve been really happy with it but last time I replaced the sensor discovered a very red area on my skin when I removed the sensor with raised scaly patches and it hasn’t really subsided, still pretty dry and rough over a week later. I change arms each 10 days, but not sensor sites but this is the first time this has happened. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, do you have any advice how to avoid it? Yet another curved ball in diabetes journey…..
I had one sensor that caused inflammation, redness and my arm remained angry for quite a while. As I had been fine 6e rest of the time, having used sensors for a long while I think it must have been an unfortunate infection in the site, and remained a one off.

As @Inka has said keep clear of that area while it recovers, and use alternative sites for a while. When inserting your sensors it is good to avoid the same arm, which you are already doing and also avoiding the same hole when you return to an arm again. I know that this is easier said than done as there is a tendency to hit the same area.

I hope that your arm recovers soon And hope that it was a one off. There are other tapes that you can put under the sensor tape if you find thatYou are allergic to the adhesive, and also barrier creams.

Have you thought of using something like Skin tac, which you would put on your skin before applying the sensor on your arm?
"Product Description
Skin tac adhesive barrier is a clear, non-latex, hypo-allergenic adhesive barrier. Use on skin as a tacky base before applying adhesives. Acts as an effective barrier between tape and skin. Removes easily with tacaway adhesive remover wipes, available in economical 4 oz. liquid and convenient travel friendly wipes."
The downside is that it is pretty expensive just to try, and to use.

Dexcom's CGMs seem to have a reputation for the adhesive causing allergic reactions. I would try a Libre 2 on a free trial offer and see how you find them. I'm allergic to most plasters but have had no problems with the Libre.

I change arms and also change where on the arm I put the sensor @Fleetwood I use the G7 not One but have had no issues. Perhaps it’s just because the site has become irritated over time? I’d let it heal completely and avoid it for a while. Dryness and roughness is ok but any redness or heat needs checking in case you have an infection.
Thanks - luckily it isn’t infected but I will switch around the sites more than previously.

Dexcom's CGMs seem to have a reputation for the adhesive causing allergic reactions. I would try a Libre 2 on a free trial offer and see how you find them. I'm allergic to most plasters but have had no problems with the Libre.
I will see if it is a rogue reaction and see what happens - if I continue to react that might well be an option.

Have you thought of using something like Skin tac, which you would put on your skin before applying the sensor on your arm?
"Product Description
Skin tac adhesive barrier is a clear, non-latex, hypo-allergenic adhesive barrier. Use on skin as a tacky base before applying adhesives. Acts as an effective barrier between tape and skin. Removes easily with tacaway adhesive remover wipes, available in economical 4 oz. liquid and convenient travel friendly wipes."
The downside is that it is pretty expensive just to try, and to use.
Thanks, I hadn’t heard of that. Doesn’t it affect the adhesive to skin seal though?

I will see if it is a rogue reaction and see what happens - if I continue to react that might well be an option.

Guess is if you've been using sensors since last spring then it possibly is one off, have had it odd occasion when using libre & odd time using patch pump, so far not so with Dexcom but only been using G6 for last 8 months.

Don't forget you can use abdomen area as well as arms, personally find it best not to overuse same sites so regular rotation is best practice same as on injections & with cannula site placement.

Do you follow the steps when applying it. I had a really bad reaction to my first sensor I hadn't prepared the area I just put it straight on while I was at my appointment. I haven't had much issues with other sensors.

Yes, I do prepare it as recommended, wash then surgical spirit. I haven’t reacted quite so much to the most recent sensors, and am using two different sites on each arm so am having effectively a bit more than a month off for each site. I have yet to go back to the first site that got the reaction, it’s looking almost normal so will be interesting (well interesting for me!) to see if that bit of my arm reacts in the same way again…

After 3.5 years of using Libre sensors, I had one a month ago that was similar to how you describe, a bit red, scaly and dry almost like very thin scabs. Never had the problem before and not happened since and arm is fine now. No idea why as I always prep my arm in the same way before application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back