All things type 2

gaff11

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello all, new to this site and no idea what I'm doing but here goes...

I'm a 35 year old man that at the start of the year was told I have type 2 diabetes (my fault for being on the slightly larger side and having a terrible diet I imagine). After being married for 11 years I separated with my wife and am currently in a new relationship about 10-11 months in.

In the last year or so I've lost a considerable amount of weight, I am in a happy and incredibly loving relationship but there's an awful lot of stress in or around our circle. We both have children from previous marriages and our exes aren't the easiest to deal with. Both of us have been left with financial constraints that have never been in our control and children have been used as weapons against us for various reasons, however we both have all the children with us 50-60% of the week every week.

My partner and I despite everything going on are incredibly happy together, we are basically eachothers crutch as we've both gone through a lot (in different ways if that makes sense).
So here's why I am writing this, again I'm not very good at this sort of stuff and I'm sorry its long...

My partner and I are intimate frequently, a high number of times in the week as we both have incredibly high sex drives. My partner however doesn't know that since we have been together I have been taking daily medication for ED. I don't want to bring this up with her and I know it's ridiculous because we share everything, because I don't feel 'manly' enough broaching the subject. I know that she wouldn't have a problem with it and I know she'd support me through anything, so I suppose it's that age old 'macho nonsense' but I just can't bring myself to do it. Again I know it's daft.

My daily medication has worked since I've been using it, however in the last week or two I felt a twinge in my left testicle and since then I feel like everything isn't as it should be. Apologies for sounding crude but getting an erection hasn't been an issue, but maintaining one seems to be a problem as well as there being discomfort in my left testicle and groin, even my public area (again left side).

I'm still new to all of this and I know anyone reading this will say 'go to the GP' but at the moment with waiting times and other factors it's not quite as easy as that. Basically what I'm asking is, has anyone else gone through or is going through anything similar? I am stressing over all of it which in turn obviously makes things 10 times worse and I know talking to people may help, but I'm not the greatest at sharing (A forum where you can stay anonymous helps). Any advice other than what I said previous? Happy to answer any questions.

Thanks

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear you are going through a tough time with a lot of everyday stress but great that you now have a loving and supportive partner.

I think it might be helpful for us to know a little more about your diabetes diagnosis and treatment to try to decide what the likelihood is of that impacting your sex live.
You say you lost a lot of weight in the last year and it sounds like that perhaps happened before diagnosis? Did that happen quite easily or unexpectedly?
What was your HbA1c result when you were diagnosed (this is the blood test used to diagnose and monitor the management of your diabetes and will be a number in excess of 47mmols.mol but how much above that gives us a much better idea of where things are at with your diabetes. ie. If you are just in the low 50s then that carries less risks than you being in the 90s or over 100.
Knowing what if any medication you have been prescribed for the diabetes and what if any dietary changes you have made will also be helpful.
Do you test your own blood Glucose levels at home and if so, what sort of readings are you getting?
Unexplained weight loss and very high HbA1c can be red flags for Type 1 diabetes rather than Type 2 and uncontrolled Type 1 can be a very serious matter as the very high BG levels can impact the body in lots of ways that might not affect a Type 2 with a moderate HbA1c for many years.

Obviously, it would make a lot of sense to speak to a GP particularly if you have developed a persistent pain and some deterioration of function albeit helped my self medication. Have you considered doing on online consultation with your GP. Many GP practices have an online referral system, one such is "Ask My GP" where you can fill in details of your ailment and the doctor will read it and decide if they need to see you or need blood tests or whatever. This system works really efficiently at my GP practice and allows you to include all the important details in an unpressured environment at home, so that you don't forget to tell the GP something important.

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear you are going through a tough time with a lot of everyday stress but great that you now have a loving and supportive partner.

I think it might be helpful for us to know a little more about your diabetes diagnosis and treatment to try to decide what the likelihood is of that impacting your sex live.
You say you lost a lot of weight in the last year and it sounds like that perhaps happened before diagnosis? Did that happen quite easily or unexpectedly?
What was your HbA1c result when you were diagnosed (this is the blood test used to diagnose and monitor the management of your diabetes and will be a number in excess of 47mmols.mol but how much above that gives us a much better idea of where things are at with your diabetes. ie. If you are just in the low 50s then that carries less risks than you being in the 90s or over 100.
Knowing what if any medication you have been prescribed for the diabetes and what if any dietary changes you have made will also be helpful.
Do you test your own blood Glucose levels at home and if so, what sort of readings are you getting?
Unexplained weight loss and very high HbA1c can be red flags for Type 1 diabetes rather than Type 2 and uncontrolled Type 1 can be a very serious matter as the very high BG levels can impact the body in lots of ways that might not affect a Type 2 with a moderate HbA1c for many years.

Obviously, it would make a lot of sense to speak to a GP particularly if you have developed a persistent pain and some deterioration of function albeit helped my self medication. Have you considered doing on online consultation with your GP. Many GP practices have an online referral system, one such is "Ask My GP" where you can fill in details of your ailment and the doctor will read it and decide if they need to see you or need blood tests or whatever. This system works really efficiently at my GP practice and allows you to include all the important details in an unpressured environment at home, so that you don't forget to tell the GP something important.
Thank you for your welcome.

So the last year or so has been pretty much 200mph regarding things going on. The weight loss started before I recieved my diagnosis, I started losing weight due to various reasons, better diet being one, not overeating etc, so in that respect the weight loss has been easy and I've managed to keep it off. Over the years I've fluctuated losing a lot before piling back on again. I've not been prescribed any medication for my diabetes as I was told by the GP that it was due to being overweight and it was mainly about diet management etc.

Home life has been manic and due to moving house and not being able to change GP as yet I've not been able to get in to a GP and it's incredibly difficult to get an appointment as by the time you get through there's a two week wait.

Regarding blood tests etc, the last time I did any was when I was given my diagnosis, testosterone was normal, thyroid was normal etc, I can't remember off the top of my head my Hba1c number and I know that's irresponsible but again life has been manic. I know and I'm learning diabetes is something not to be taken lightly and I know I need to get more in depth knowledge wise to get everything under control.

I'm not aware that the GP practice I'm registered with has an online consultation process but I can look into this right away. I know I need to ideally go in, it's a kind of head in the sand scenario because my new partner is an incredibly anxious person and is a major worrier. I've had to be there for her with lots of different trauma and situations and I try to hide any weakness/illness (again that stupid male macho silliness). I also don't like asking for help, hence why I'm not very good at stuff like this either.

Thank you for taking time to reply to my first post though, you always worry people will read a line or two and think 'can't be bothered reading that!'

Hi @gaff11 and welcome to the forum from me as well.

If you can get into the docs ask at reception for a copy of your blood test report, I did when I was first diagnosed two
years ago and was quite surprised at all the information it contained including my HbA1c.

Good luck, and take on board the comments from all the knowledgeable members on the forum like I do.

Since this is an issue with things 'down there' your area may have a sexual health clinic which you can self refer and get checked over, something like that need checking promptly as it may be something unrelated to either your diabetes or the ED medication.

Since this is an issue with things 'down there' your area may have a sexual health clinic which you can self refer and get checked over, something like that need checking promptly as it may be something unrelated to either your diabetes or the ED medication.

Yes I was thinking that too @Leadinglights. Would be good to get those sensations, and discomfort, checked out. Just for reassurance as much as anything. Do your testicles feel normal size/shape for you with a self-inspection?

Sexual health clinics are quite common in larger town and cities, and may give you another option to get seen rather than running the GP gauntlet?

Glad you have shared your experiences with us @gaff11

Oh and DO find a way to have the conversation about the ED meds you’ve been taking with your partner. You know you need to, and that it’s ‘silly’ not to. And you know she will support you.

Back