Alexandra Burke on type 2 diabetes: 'Mum won't accept my kidney'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Alexandra Burke grew up knowing that something was wrong with her mum.

Melissa Bell, former lead singer of Soul II Soul, would faint in the middle of conversations, suffered dramatic weight loss and, at one terrifying point, slipped into a coma.

Alexandra and her older siblings - brother David and sister Sheneice ? would feed her Mars bars to help revive her.

But it wasn?t until Alexandra was in her mid-teens that she realised the reason for her mum?s ill heath. Melissa, now 49, has Type 2 diabetes ? a condition that has led to kidney failure and now needs to be on dialysis unless a matching kidney donor is found.

Alexandra, 25, recalls: "The diabetes in my family started with my great grandmother, who passed away from it, and then it went down to my grandmother and to my mum.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style...-on-type-2-diabetes-and-saving-her-mum-s-life

My daughter who is a perfect match and is 23 wanted to give me a kidney and we were told emphatically that this country does not let duaghters/sons donate a kidney to a parent, it is not ethical. So am not sure what Alexandra Burke is talking about ? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back