Alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.

mully07

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hey guys, new to the forum but 13 years a T1!
I am coming to terms with the fact that functions, weddings and maybe drinking in general is a thing of the past for me.
The last couple of weeks I have suffered from high bloods post events, nothing different to the past, but I think mentally it has taken its toll and now I feel I have to accept that this part of the process is done for me now.
Has anyone else experienced similar pivotal moments in their lives as a T1?

What type of alcohol are you drinking at these events?

Lager can increase bloods a little, cider is a no go. Best shout would be spirits with a sugar free splash?

Alcohol and diabetes can be a dangerous dance at times, monitor a little more and correct where needed, watch out for the potential post drink drop as I find up to 24 hours after my bloods tend to drop on the low side.

I think it’s alcohol that gets me through type 1 life

What type of alcohol are you drinking at these events?

Lager can increase bloods a little, cider is a no go. Best shout would be spirits with a sugar free splash?

Alcohol and diabetes can be a dangerous dance at times, monitor a little more and correct where needed, watch out for the potential post drink drop as I find up to 24 hours after my bloods tend to drop on the low side.
I’m drinking cash ales! And my blood tends to drop around bed time, so grab a snack then I wake up around 3-4am with blood off the chart! Then the dance begins, bringing it down send like an endless battle

Your choice of drink is probably the problem rather than the alcohol itself. If you were to consider a change of tipple you might well find it was much more manageable. I drink wine or rum and diet coke or gin and slimline tonic and so far they don't affect my levels at all. Port on the other hand, which I also love, increases my levels and needs insulin. Oddly I don't see any lowering effect either, even on the odd occasion when I have had 3 or 4 without carbs.

Pink gin & diet lemonade

Your welcome

Do you drink regularly? Every drink can damage your pancreas. The pancreatitis forum is filled with regular drinkers (now reformed) who have survived acute pancreatitis - 1 in 4 don’t survive. And they will tell you they have never been drunk or unsteady on their legs. Many of those end up with Chronic Pancreatitis, many with persistent abdominal pain, often needing opiates to suppress it. My CP was autoimmune, and I’ve never had any pain. Others on this forum had gallstones to account for their CP.

If alcohol were invented now, it would never be allowed to be sold. It is far more dangerous than Cannabis, or even Cocaine. Neither affect your blood glucose, nor they damage your pancreas or liver, though those with hypertension would be unwise to use cocaine.

So wondering about which forms of alcohol won’t raise your blood glucose is the wrong thing to wonder about. Wonder about whether the next drink will kick off your pancreas. Type 3c is now more common than T1, a rise mainly fuelled by folk who drink alcohol regularly.

Have good time at Christmas, but if you can’t have a good time unless you are fuelled by alcohol, then you are in bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back