Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacen017

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Sooooooo....

I had a couple of drinks for the first time since my Christmas present of T1.

I managed the night well and stayed in range but since then I've been struggling to keep myself from hypoing.

I understand that it's due to my liver processing the alcohol and not pushing out glucose whilst it's distracted and was expecting it.

Anyone know how long it's likely to continue for? :rofl:

As you were only diagnosed at Christmas, I would suspect you are in the honeymoon period still 🙂
Which basically means your pancreas will cough and splutter insulin as it pleases before it kicks it's clogs completely.
Perhaps look at dropping your basal a bit and see if that helps. If unsure do give your DSN a ring for more advice.

Hiya @Jacen017. I used to hypo all...day...long...after a night out. Just for 24 hours, and especially after a bolus. It’s a pain. A chat with your DSN - as Sue says - is probably a good idea. Dealing with alcohol was covered in depth on my carb count course (It almost felt like we were being encouraged to drink, it went on for that long!), so s/he’s bound to have some advice.

As you know, diabetes is different for all of us, so it is difficult to say how long it will go on for you and may depend on how much you had to drink, what type of alcohol and if a lot of dancing etc was involved.
Personally my liver seems to be the only part of me able to multitask (I'm obviously not a real woman!) and I see very little difference in my levels the next day or overnight. I don't know if my low carb way of eating impacts that in some way. Even when I have had rather more than a couple, my levels have behaved incredibly well afterwards...... in fact I seem to manage my diabetes better when I am a bit tipsy.

If you are having lows the following day then you might be best to reduce your basal next time, especially if you are on a shorter acting basal like Levemir. I can't see the effects lasting much longer than a day though in general, so if you use a longer acting basal like Tresiba then it would be easier to keep the dose the same and either keep topping up with carbs or reduce boluses for breakfast (in you can stomach it) and lunch.

Sorry to hear about the hypos @Jacen017

Hope you enjoyed your night out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back