Alcohol with the pump...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacol4940

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Are there any specifics do's and dont's with drinking alcohol when on a pump?

It's my best mates hen do on saturday and I ideally would like to have a cocktail or two, or three.... 😛

Can't help... but when I first read the title, I thought you might be intending to pump alcohol! :D

Are there any specifics do's and dont's with drinking alcohol when on a pump?

It's my best mates hen do on saturday and I ideally would like to have a cocktail or two, or three.... 😛
If you are not stable due to being new to the pump, then approach with caution, test a lot and have some fun as well.

Can't help... but when I first read the title, I thought you might be intending to pump alcohol! :D

Lol I thought the same :D

Can you get gin on scrip then? LOL

Make sure you eat at the same time or preferably, before too.

Very good Lee Lee. When i go out i allways have have a meal first. I found it no different to injecting apart from getting the beer into the syringe 🙄 Its being T1 nothings cast in stone & everyone is different. Enjoy your night out 🙂

Have you been shown how to do secondary basal patterns? I have a total of 3 basal patterns for my pump, the normal one, one for nights out and one for working on a Sunday evening. The 2 alternate ones deliver slightly less insulin over the period that they are on and it save having a temp basal with it's beeping every hour.

If you've not been shown, see if you can get your DSN or pump trainer to help you set one up before your night out.

I found its the same as on injections. Best advice is know what your drinking, and as stated do a lot of testing. Coctails can be sweet with fruit jucies in so send your b/s sky high, but if you take a correction for it, your in for a hypo later.
As a male, i dont drink coctails, but beer, i know, 2 pints = 1 unit for me, shorts, a dash of full sugar coke helps (but thats a dash) wine acts as it wants to. Just before you drink or just after, try and have some lo GI foods. The breakfast biscuits would be good as you can nibble on them through the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back