Alchohol

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemase

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was probably a bit stupid this weekend; at a party I drank to excess. I fell asleep at then end and had trouble waking up. It is now over twenty four hours later and I still do not feel ok.
Do you think the falling asleep was more likely a hypo? How long should it take to recover from one if you have them? My doctor has told me that Type 2s do not suffer from hypos but my nurse has asked me if I have ever suffered with one. Who is right? My doctor also told me that testing my blood myself was pointless, again is he correct? Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

It is less likely for a type 2 to have a hypo but not unkown. It is possible you fell asleep because of a hypo, but I think it is more likely to be the alcohol. The secret is to keep testing as even one drink affects the way your liver works. While your liver is breaking down the alcohol it is not breaking down carbs and producing glucose.

I'm sure someone will be along soon who will give a better answer than me, but hope this helps.

hi hemese it is tutally natural to go abit ott your at a party we cant always be such sttict diabetics we would all go mad if we didnt have abit of self indulgence sometimes , the doctor telling you it is pointless might think he is right but i was always told taking my bloods was the best thing to do the doc can gace from it how well im doing when i take my diary to my check ups etc etc and it tells me if they are any patterns occuring in certain times of the days and if so i can go about changing what i do and sorting it out.I cant say about the hypos as i have never had one in the 6 month i been diabetics but thats not to say any T2.S dont have hypoes x

I was probably a bit stupid this weekend; at a party I drank to excess. I fell asleep at then end and had trouble waking up. It is now over twenty four hours later and I still do not feel ok.
Do you think the falling asleep was more likely a hypo? How long should it take to recover from one if you have them? My doctor has told me that Type 2s do not suffer from hypos but my nurse has asked me if I have ever suffered with one. Who is right? My doctor also told me that testing my blood myself was pointless, again is he correct? Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Are you on medication (tablets or insulin) for your diabetes? You can still become hypoglycemic even if you're not, and alcohol may contribute, but it's less common for those not on medication. As for recovery from hypos, some people find they're fine as soon as it's treated, other feel a 'hangover' from them for several hours afterwards. The only way to truely know if you are hypo or not is to test your blood so I'd suggest if you are concerned that you're having hypos that you should have a meter.

As for the issue on t2s testing, that's quite a big debate, there are several threads on the topic so do have a search around. The general consensus is usually that if you're not going to do anything with the readings then it's probably not useful. However if you're using the readings then it can be extrememly beneficial. Using the readings doesn't necessarily mean for adapting medication, it could be to assess what different foods do to your levels and using that information to inform what you do in the future. Reading allow you to see if you're on track or not also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back