alchahol

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynneb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,
I dont normally drink at all, just at xmas party, and xmas day, but am off on holiday to australia in a week and a half.
I would like to be able to have the odd drink , am I allowed alcahol?
I usually drink Baileys or sweet white wine, but the odd lager too. Is this allowed?
I dont mean bottles of it lol!

Id say modearation like everything else i dont drink myself so some one who does will probs come along and tell you the drinks that are fine .Anyways have a fab time in Oz Lynne

one thing i would say is baileys would be a no no for me personally as its very sweet

Hi Steff,
I havnt had baileys since last year, only diagnosed this may, and havnt drunk since then, as i say i dont drink often, but will be celebrating my brothers birthday while out there, so wanted to check.
Shame about baileys being so sweet, i love it lol

mmmmm baileys, pint glass handful of ice, and bottle in fridge ready for refill! For your brothers birthday, go-on, go-on, go-on go-on go-on (said in an irish accent ref: father Ted!) But seriously enjoy yourself but still be sensible (or send him out the room for a bit!):D

Anyone tried that drink 'Dooleys?'....It's a liquor, with Toffee and Vodka!

I've not had it but it looks yummy 🙂

Hi all,
I dont normally drink at all, just at xmas party, and xmas day, but am off on holiday to australia in a week and a half.
I would like to be able to have the odd drink , am I allowed alcahol?
I usually drink Baileys or sweet white wine, but the odd lager too. Is this allowed?
I dont mean bottles of it lol!

It should be fine in moderation Lynne - treat yourself! It can increase your blood pressure, so that can be a consideration if yours is high. Very sweet drinks might 'spike' your levels high, but not sure how Baileys would react as it has cream in it which should slow the spike I think. They say you should avoid sweet cider, but a medium strength lager like Fosters or Castlemaine XXXX (do they still make that?:confused:) should be OK.🙂

i have started to drink fair bit again.. i.e a bottle of wine... my sugars are cool i keep them well checked.. but will this affect me in the future?

Drink has been a big part of my life for years - used to love my real ale and wine. Two years on from being diagnosed diabetic though and I've knocked the drinking on the head, haven't touched a drop since 9th August. I've found that I was getting drunk quicker, doing really erratic things (walking 9 miles home in the middle of the night), falling over, feeling dreadful. Don't know if it was the drink reacting with the tablets I take, or just the diabetes itself but I couldn't take it any more and am happilly teatotal - have lost over a stone and did the Great North Run recently in 2 hours, best decision I've ever made.

I'd recommend staying away from cider and Baileys in particular, and drink vodka/gin with diet mixers. Even beer/lager made me feel dreadful once I became diabetic I'm afraid.

Hi,

I think you will be fine if you keep within the guidelines. When I visited Australia it was November/December - i.e. their summer - and I encountered temperatures upto 45! The key is to keep yourself well hydrated - dehydration causes some of the hangover symtoms. I found there were largers (VB, Victoria Bitter is a larger - not as gassy and better tasting than Fosters!) and wines not commonly seen in the UK - so try ones you are not familiar with. Their Bundaberg rum is a good basis for some long cool drinks.

Enjoy yourself and keep hydrated. I needed nearly a litre of water an hour when walking in Kings Canyon!

Drink has been a big part of my life for years - used to love my real ale and wine. Two years on from being diagnosed diabetic though and I've knocked the drinking on the head, haven't touched a drop since 9th August. I've found that I was getting drunk quicker, doing really erratic things (walking 9 miles home in the middle of the night), falling over, feeling dreadful. Don't know if it was the drink reacting with the tablets I take, or just the diabetes itself but I couldn't take it any more and am happilly teatotal - have lost over a stone and did the Great North Run recently in 2 hours, best decision I've ever made.

I'd recommend staying away from cider and Baileys in particular, and drink vodka/gin with diet mixers. Even beer/lager made me feel dreadful once I became diabetic I'm afraid.

Well done Ikey - especially the 2 hour GNR! I guess it just shows that you need to find out how it affects you personally. Certainly it can have repercussions other than diabetic ones if drunk to excess, which we should not lose sight of (blood pressure, weight gain etc.) My attitude has changed considerably, not least because I have to actually think about it now and have been made to feel more 'mortal', I guess since diagnosis. I'd struggle with going teetotal I think, unless it was absolutely necessary.

drinks in Australia

It would be a shame to go all the way to Australia and not try some local alcoholic drinks that you can't get in the UK! Even Fosters lager is more bearable, and weaker, so more refreshing in Australia than in UK. In Western Australia, Swan and Emu Export lagers are the main brands - I actually looked for beer cans and earlier glass bottles at Fitzroy Crossing (guess that's the nearest I've come to archaeology, Salmonpuff?), when helping a friend with geomorphological research into the flood history of the Fitzroy River in Kimberley Region, northern WA - and yes, we did drink a couple of beers, but mainly drank lots of water - and jumped in the river when it got too hot, so that it was a bit inconvenient when her supervisor visited, as we had to wear clothes in water. That was before I had diabetes, but I'd do the same again, with slight insulin adjustment. I also really liked the cold chocolate or coffee milks that were available at all roadhouses, dairies (corner shops, many also serve excellent burgers, with lots of salad, beetroot etc) etc. Also visited vinyards - Swan and Margaret River regions in WA, several in south east South Australia - and sampled the products.

Last edited:
thanks for all yr replies, i will try the beer and wine and drinks lots of water, i drink gallons of the stuff anyway, especially at night, and they got a pool, so im in it lol!🙂: just a wek to go, cant wait, its so slow.

It would be a shame to go all the way to Australia and not try some local alcoholic drinks that you can't get in the UK! Even Fosters lager is more bearable, and weaker, so more refreshing in Australia than in UK. In Western Australia, Swan and Emu Export lagers are the main brands - I actually looked for beer cans and earlier glass bottles at Fitzroy Crossing (guess that's the nearest I've come to archaeology, Salmonpuff?), when helping a friend with geomorphological research into the flood history of the Fitzroy River in Kimberley Region, northern WA - and yes, we did drink a couple of beers, but mainly drank lots of water - and jumped in the river when it got too hot, so that it was a bit inconvenient when her supervisor visited, as we had to wear clothes in water. That was before I had diabetes, but I'd do the same again, with slight insulin adjustment. I also really liked the cold chocolate or coffee milks that were available at all roadhouses, dairies (corner shops, many also serve excellent burgers, with lots of salad, beetroot etc) etc. Also visited vinyards - Swan and Margaret River regions in WA, several in south east South Australia - and sampled the products.

ooooooh that is indeed archaeology! And that geomorphological stuff sounds cool too, very geoarchaeology :D

I'm not going to Australia tonight, but I fancy a drink already today! Is that wrong???😛

Australia, beer, wine and life!

I'm not going to Australia, either, but will have a beer at Hallowe'en party on Sat night, plus mulled wine on a friend's house boat to watch fireworks on Thurs. But, that bar in Fitzroy Crossing was a special place, especiually the night after I passed my driving test, which had consisted on 4 left turns and no traffic lights, roundabouts etc.
Geoarchaeology, apparently: we also did 1cm scraperplate samples of flood plain soil, to be analysed to see what had been deposited before and after the Caesium 137 which was left by the atomic weapons tests in Australian outback in 1957, if I remember right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back