Airport travel advise please

Status
Not open for further replies.

sPuRs7402

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 and flying out from Gatwick tomorrow. I have a letter from my GP to say that I can carry my medication and testing kit with my hand luggage but not sure if I have to declare them before going through security and should they be in clear plastic bags? Also is it ok for testing strips to go through x ray machine?

Sorry for all the questions but kinda new to this and just suddenly thought I better check before going to airport.

If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Thanks

I have never had a problem, they just go into my laptop bag & if there were an issue I'd just explain.

One should always carry medications in hand luggage

I got a letter when first diagnosed with type one but have never been asked to produce it when travelling! So have never had a problem with flying I'm sure it will all go smoothly!
I've never thought about the test strips comment before but mine have been through the x ray scanner and worked perfectly fine.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I've never had an issue, I just have it in my hand luggage.

Never a problem. I dont bother to take the stuff out of my bag anymore just plonk it in the tray. They must have thousands of diabetics every day and they know whats what. I have a letter too which my DSN wrote in 2001 its a bit crumpled now so I take a repeat 'script just in case I need to prove something but it never happens. Have a great holiday.

Hello! I am travelling to HK soon for 6 months to a year and need to bring up to 40 novorapid pens and 40 levemir pens with me without putting them in the hold. Do I need an extra letter for this much insulin? Has anyone carried this much through airports before? Thanks very much!

You don't need a letter BUT why on earth carry that amount of individual disposable pens with you?

Far, far easier to carry re-usable pens (one of each so have different colours) and sufficient cartridges.

You won't be able to get 6 months supply of insulin on NHS prescription anyway - we can only have 3 months advance supply.

All liquids, even if in cartidges within disposable pens, needs to be presented to security X ray machines in ziplock bags.
I agree with Trophywench - cartridges in reusable pens are much more suitable - lighter weight, less bulky, less environmental waste etc. Strictly speaking, NHS GPs can only prescribe 3 months of supplies at once, but 4 boxes of 5 x 3ml cartridges of Humalin I lasts me at least 7 months and the same amount of Humalog lasts me 12 months.

So Maria - and forgive me if my calculation is wrong here - you use roughly 120u of insulin each day?

You won't be able to get 6 months supply of insulin on NHS prescription anyway - we can only have 3 months advance supply.
Not necessarily true. I go away every winter for 5-6 months and take my supplies with me. The first couple of years I did this, the pharmacy (at GP's) said I could only have 3-months. I made an appointment with GP (starting conversation with "I'm sorry to be wasting your time ...") who agreed that this was a silly restriction and just issued a scrip for 6-months supply. Now, the pharmacists just get on with it. After all, I am still a UK resident and pay my taxes here. Apparently, the 3-month 'restriction' is on the nanny basis that patients on long-term medication should be reviewed regularly. Since I'm reviewed 6-monthly (before and after I go away) this is a bit daft. Also, I'm doing my bit to support the NHS by being away during the busiest time of year!

Well OK David - you are lucky where you live and in your surgery - but that doesn't mean another GP will also do it.

Mine will NOT.

Perhaps it's more to do with the CCG and how much they will pay for?

Well OK David - you are lucky where you live and in your surgery - but that doesn't mean another GP will also do it.

Mine will NOT.

Perhaps it's more to do with the CCG and how much they will pay for?
Yes, I must be, thank goodness. It would be a real pain to sort out a work-around. Sourcing locally at my destination is tricky, as, for example, it can take up to two weeks just to get an insulin delivery.

I doubt it's a CCG issue, as I don't think they can override a dr's clinical decision to write a scrip.

All the docs at my practice have always asserted that it isn't allowed and they've been telling me this since 1998 - so inevitably it is not all the same personalities, and there have also been many different locums over the years. Same answer from all of em.

All the docs at my practice have always asserted that it isn't allowed and they've been telling me this since 1998 - so inevitably it is not all the same personalities, and there have also been many different locums over the years. Same answer from all of em.
What a bunch of meanies, Jenny! You're still a U.K. resident for the first 183 days you're abroad...they're just jealous of your MoHo and adventurous spirit...🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back