Airport security advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flower

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've got to fly to Scotland early tomorrow to a family funeral - bit late sorting stuff out as we were going to drive but not now.

I'm on crutches with my leg in a cast so the last time I flew about 10 years back I was patted down and didn't go through the walk through scanner. With a pump & cgm I think that is the right thing to do to protect my pump regardless of crutches.

Can my glucose meter go through the X Ray machine or do I need to remove it from rucksack? Can I carry a vial of 'just in case' insulin in my handbag or does it need to be put somewhere else, likewise spare pump batteries.

Thanks , I haven't flown for so long I'm a bit out of what I can do now. Anything else I haven't thought of?

Pump can go through the arch but not the body scanner.
CGM is fine being x-rayed.
Insulin is a liquid so should be in your clear bag with toiletries (or a clear bag by itself if you have no toiletries in your hand luggage) which you place separately on the conveyor belt and then return to your handbag/rucksack once you have made it through security.

If you are nervous, you can wear a sunflower lanyard although with crutches I suspect you have a visible disability so should get treated with care.

Regarding non-D stuff, if you have an ipad or other tablet, or a laptop, you need to take them out of your bag and put them in a separate tray to go through the x-ray scanner, but mobile phones can stay in your bag, so can glucose monitors.

Hope it all goes smoothly @Flower (I haven't flown for a while either so can't offer advice).

Thanks @Robin and @Bloden

I'm trying to travel with as little stuff as possible but having to cover those 'what if' scenarios with diabetes soon generates a rucksack of medical stuff plus glucose sweets and hankies for when I start crying. Hopefully this won't be at the airport!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back