Airline Travel with Dexcom one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fleetwood

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
A quick question: we leave for Nepal on Monday and I am travelling with lots of Dexcom one sensors and transmitters. I know the transmitters aren’t meant to go through xray so will ask them to be hand checked but was hoping to put most of the Sensors in my hold luggage as they’re pretty bulky. Has anyone done this?

I ask because I don’t know if the sensors would be damaged by xray and the Dexcom website is not at all clear about it.

It’s the first time I’ve been on a flight since diagnosis so I’d be really grateful for advice (already got Frio bags for the insulin etc for cabin baggage).

Hi @Fleetwood, it's really lovely to hear you're going away - hope you have a great time! 🙂

You can find some guidance on what to pack in your hand luggage from our website article on travel, linked here: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/life-with-diabetes/travel#packing

We would advise keeping all your diabetes supplies in your hand luggage.

Another thing to note is (if you weren't already aware), we would say getting an accompanying letter from your doctor to state your equipment is essential, as well as this it is good to let the airports, and airlines know, so they can put a note on your record to state about any prescriptions and equipment. This will hopefully make the process of going through security a lot smoother.

Hopefully, the forum community will be able to share some experiences, and suggestions, around this too 🙂

Hi @Fleetwood, it's really lovely to hear you're going away - hope you have a great time! 🙂

You can find some guidance on what to pack in your hand luggage from our website article on travel, linked here: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/life-with-diabetes/travel#packing

We would advise keeping all your diabetes supplies in your hand luggage.

Another thing to note is (if you weren't already aware), we would say getting an accompanying letter from your doctor to state your equipment is essential, as well as this it is good to let the airports, and airlines know, so they can put a note on your record to state about any prescriptions and equipment. This will hopefully make the process of going through security a lot smoother.

Hopefully, the forum community will be able to share some experiences, and suggestions, around this too 🙂
Many thanks!

I don’t know about the dexicom for my Omnipod I phoned them and asked them directly, their website wasn’t clear and maybe if they get enough calls they will update the website.

I have read various things about libres on the internet too from reliable sources, mine went through the scanner fine.

When I put my bags on the belt the security man told me to tell them about my device. They asked me to go though the all body scanner and I just pointed to both my devices and said diabetic and they let me through the xray.

I did have both the letter about the scanners and the supplies / medications I need as well as copy of my prescription, I’ve flown a few times and never needed to show either.

Flying back from Ireland to Manchester tonight so we will see.

Take loads of extras, in Devon a few weeks ago I had 2 faulty libres and then no more spares and had to go old school.

And if you are going somewhere warm get a friocase https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/page/68799B69-23B5-4DF5-A297-ED981D95CD60
It’s handy to have in the uk anyway but definitely a must aboard.

Smooth travels

I don’t know about the dexicom for my Omnipod I phoned them and asked them directly, their website wasn’t clear and maybe if they get enough calls they will update the website.

I have read various things about libres on the internet too from reliable sources, mine went through the scanner fine.

When I put my bags on the belt the security man told me to tell them about my device. They asked me to go though the all body scanner and I just pointed to both my devices and said diabetic and they let me through the xray.

I did have both the letter about the scanners and the supplies / medications I need as well as copy of my prescription, I’ve flown a few times and never needed to show either.

Take loads of extras, in Devon a few weeks ago I had 2 faulty libres and then no more spares and had to go old school.

And if you are going somewhere warm get a friocase https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/page/68799B69-23B5-4DF5-A297-ED981D95CD60

Smooth travels
That is so helpful - many thanks!

Smooth travels
I am wearing my pump on my stomach and a long selve dress so can’t see my libre either, I must say I am little bit nervous about security in Dublin, especially as I struggle with the accent, let’s see how it goes. Fingers crossed, I have plenty of time.

I have been through Dublin airport a few times with my pump and CGM. I have never experienced any problems.
Hope the same was true for you @PhoebeC
Yeah much better than Manchester. I Manchester you have to take your liquids and electronics out, in Dublin you just leave as is and they only had the X-ray scanner. No queue. It was perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back