age conspiracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen999

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
ive got a question, 2 of my close friends who are both 89 have been on metformin 2000 slow release for over 15years , they have both developed stomach issues and there tablets have been reduced too 500, even though both have hba1c of 56. they haven't been offered another type of medication.
what do you think? are they being written off.

Perhaps your friends should be asking the rational behind the change?

Perhaps your friends should be asking the rational behind the change?
I'm trying to encourage them to do so. Unfortunately they both hate taking tablets so see it as a positive thing.

ive got a question, 2 of my close friends who are both 89 have been on metformin 2000 slow release for over 15years , they have both developed stomach issues and there tablets have been reduced too 500, even though both have hba1c of 56. they haven't been offered another type of medication.
what do you think? are they being written off.
No I don't think so, you have to balance the benefits of reducing an HbA1C of somebody more elderly against the discomfort of them suffering with stomach issues.
The NICE guidelines have been relaxed for people of more mature years as to what HbA1C is OK. It was based on some findings that some people were being over medicated when more elderly.
Often elderly people don't eat quite so much as they often have poor appetite.

I am 60yrs old and my consultant would be happy with my HbA1c being low-mid 50s for the rest of my life. There is only very minor risk of long term damage at that mid 50s level, so I would not be concerned if they can manage to maintain their HbA1c at that level on a reduced Metformin dose and of course they have the option to make dietary adjustment to reduce it further, unless they are already on a strict low carb diet. More or different tablets is not always the answer with diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back