Afternoon tea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am being taken out for afternoon tea next week, which involves pastries and sandwiches. I think what I will do is to have the pastries and sandwiches but only half of each. Does anyone else have any deas how i should manage this treat?

A chocolate eclaire is your best choice for a cream cake if you have that option. Maybe cut the crusts off if they haven't already been cut off or take the top piece of bread off to make them open sandwiches and feed some ducks on your way home with the off cuts.

Nice. 🙂

Hear Hear, @helli !

I assume as you are using the words 'this treat' that it doesn't and won't happen very often. In which case - simply ENJOY it, mate!

Hear Hear, @helli !

I assume as you are using the words 'this treat' that it doesn't and won't happen very often. In which case - simply ENJOY it, mate!
Oh, so true.
It took months of gentle hinting

I would not worry too much. If it is anything like the afternoon tea I went to, if you ate 4 sandwiches and 2 pastries you still would not have eaten half a normal portion of each. It is all very dainty and tiny. It seems the smaller the portions the larger the cost lol.

Good. Thank you

Could you ask if there are other options?
Salad perhaps?
Back when I was at home, afternoon tea was cooked meat and salad, with stewed fruit and custard, served cold in summer.

You can eat cold meat and salad at home, go for the treat that you wouldn't have at home. If it's an occasional treat, go for it and enjoy every bit!

Salad perhaps?
Back when I was at home, afternoon tea was cooked meat and salad, with stewed fruit and custard, served cold in summer.
Noooo. I worked hard (ie gentle nagging) for this. I want maximum pleasure with minimum problem.

Salad perhaps?
I think you might be confusing afternoon tea with high tea. High tea was usually cold meat, salad etc. Afternoon tea (especially in hotel) usually tiny sandwiches, even tinier pastries, little scone with cream and jam. Tea and/or champagne.

There is a restaurant near Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, which does either traditional cream tea including a selection of dainty sandwiches with various fillings, or a Yorkshire cream tea which included dripping sarnies 😱 and mini yorkshire puds with beef in. Have to admit I was v tempted. Dripping on toast was the highlight of the week when I was growing up!

Honestly, the amount of bread is miniscule, even if you don't take the tops off.

Go for it and enjoy! I am well jel! :D x

There is a restaurant near Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, which does either traditional cream tea including a selection of dainty sandwiches with various fillings, or a Yorkshire cream tea which included dripping sarnies 😱 and mini yorkshire puds with beef in. Have to admit I was v tempted. Dripping on toast was the highlight of the week when I was growing up!

Honestly, the amount of bread is miniscule, even if you don't take the tops off.

Go for it and enjoy! I am well jel! :D x
Last of the Summer Wine country. My Aunt had a share in an antique shop in Holmfirth many years ago. She lived in Denby Dale famous for it's meat and potato pie.

I think you might be confusing afternoon tea with high tea. High tea was usually cold meat, salad etc. Afternoon tea (especially in hotel) usually tiny sandwiches, even tinier pastries, little scone with cream and jam. Tea and/or champagne.
Ah - very likely - gosh - wern't we posh back then!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back