After operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Had my knee surgery on Tuesday, not eating that much because of pain, but blood sugar levels are hitting over 12 most of the time. I’m struggling to get them down even taking double my insulin, I’m thinking it’s because I’m not doing anything because was told to rest until bruising went down, has anyone got advice?

Hi @Homer if you are in pain it is likely to cause your levels to rise consistently.
I was amazed at how much more I needed after my spinal op.
You are already making adjustments to your basal insulin and it may be that you need to do more of that in order to get your levels in range. If you can get back in range it will also help with the healing after your knee operation.
Let us know how you get on.

You liver is releasing extra glucose to help.with the healing process from your knee op which will cause you BG to be higher in addition to less activities and possible pain.
The way to manage it is with extra insulin and relax (yes, anxiety will increase BG further).

Thanks for all the advice, it’s the first surgery I’ve had since becoming a diabetic and it was concerning on my blood sugar levels as it’s never been so high for a considerable time.
I will increase my nova rapid and hopefully will get back to my normal way of life when I can get out and about.

Hi @Homer if you are in pain it is likely to cause your levels to rise consistently.
I was amazed at how much more I needed after my spinal op.
You are already making adjustments to your basal insulin and it may be that you need to do more of that in order to get your levels in range. If you can get back in range it will also help with the healing after your knee operation.
Let us know how you get on.
Went outside today, walking slowly, done 2K which I’m happy with, my levels are not too bad now, but last night just going to bed I got a warm feeling through my body. I thought it was strange, checked my BSL which was 17.5 with the monitor libre 2, so went downstairs to check blood test, it was 10.2, how is that. I’m taking more insulin to control my levels and it seems to be working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back