After meal craving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlefeet

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I get a terrible craving after main meals for something else to eat, usually crackers or bread and I cant seem to combat this. Help . Jayne x

Are you eating enough at your meals, especially enough veg and protein? Is it hunger you’re feeling after meals or just a fancying something else?

Are you eating enough at your meals, especially enough veg and protein? Is it hunger you’re feeling after meals or just a fancying something else?
Yes, I have of the good things and full,, it's a craving like smoking withdrawal

Have you tried having a hot drink? That might help satisfy the craving.

Maybe try some sugar free jelly and berries.
I make a jelly, just one sachet, with extra pure gelatine, to make a strong set. Once it has dissolved and is clear, sometimes I need to put the bowl in hot water to get it to dissolve completely, I add frozen berries. It will usually set within a minute or so.
If I have some spare yoghurt of cream I add that in before the fruit and whisk it up. Sometimes I add orange or lemon oil and if I have had some easy peel citrus I pulverise it in a little water and add that. I keep the peel in the freezer as I don't have citrus fruit very often. I often add cream to the serving, and for festivals I make some real custard, eggs and cream with vanilla.

I get a terrible craving after main meals for something else to eat, usually crackers or bread and I cant seem to combat this. Help . Jayne x
Happens to me after almost every main meal. It doesn't hit me after lunch or breakfast for some reason. For me it's like the craving of an addict rather than hunger - a general feeling of wanting 'more' and casting around mentally for something to fill the hole that doesn't really need filling. It's the kind of feeling that would send me out to buy wine and chocolate in the past.

A pint of sparkling water or zero sugar soft drink helps a little. There's something about the bubbles that seems to help increase the feeling of 'fullness' after eating - every swallow somehow feels more substantial than tap water. The craving usually passes, more or less, a while after eating. Until the next night...

I find going for a fairly long walk usually gets rid of cravings.

Maybe try some sugar free jelly and berries.
I make a jelly, just one sachet, with extra pure gelatine, to make a strong set. Once it has dissolved and is clear, sometimes I need to put the bowl in hot water to get it to dissolve completely, I add frozen berries. It will usually set within a minute or so.
If I have some spare yoghurt of cream I add that in before the fruit and whisk it up. Sometimes I add orange or lemon oil and if I have had some easy peel citrus I pulverise it in a little water and add that. I keep the peel in the freezer as I don't have citrus fruit very often. I often add cream to the serving, and for festivals I make some real custard, eggs and cream with vanilla.
Thank you for your suggestion. I do eat sugarfree jelly but still not enough.

Happens to me after almost every main meal. It doesn't hit me after lunch or breakfast for some reason. For me it's like the craving of an addict rather than hunger - a general feeling of wanting 'more' and casting around mentally for something to fill the hole that doesn't really need filling. It's the kind of feeling that would send me out to buy wine and chocolate in the past.

A pint of sparkling water or zero sugar soft drink helps a little. There's something about the bubbles that seems to help increase the feeling of 'fullness' after eating - every swallow somehow feels more substantial than tap water. The craving usually passes, more or less, a while after eating. Until the next night...
Yes! Thats exactly right and does feel worse after main meal. Thank you for suggestion. Jayne x

Thank you for your suggestion. I do eat sugarfree jelly but still not enough.
The jelly alone is probably too thin - some real custard, (eggs and cream warmed gently in the microwave) would beef it up, you could even go the whole hog with almond flour sponges, make a trifle - even if you ate a very large bowl full it should not have much impact on blood glucose - most people seem to cope with carbs as part of a meal and in the evenings anyway and if it is all low carb anyway it is a better option than bread or crackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back