After antibiotics

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB2015

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
When I was ill (kidney infection) and on oral antibiotics I was running a TBR of 220%. I went onto oral antibiotics for a week and gradually dropped down to 150%. Having finished the antibiotics I am still having to run at 150%. Does anyone have experience of how long their BG might be affected after antibiotics.

No experience, sorry.

Hope others can help.

Is it the anti-biotics or the infection that is wreaking BG havoc?

I would suggest the infection is causing the problem. Recovery isn't instant so don't be so impatient 😛

Impatient!! Okay I will try.
Down to 140% this morning after a very welcome hypo in the night.

Impatient!! Okay I will try.
Down to 140% this morning after a very welcome hypo in the night.

Ha! Yes after a week I think I would be wondering too!

Having said that my basal has needed a 10-20% hike in recent weeks and I’ve not had any infection, I just think it’s the colder weather.

I'm still on 120% and rounding all carbs up to try and avoid double figures all day.

My DSN said try 15% - told her frankly it's a bit like hard work cos I'd have to program an entirely new Basal Pattern, the TBR feature only goes up in 10s. Are all pumps the same as that?

My DSN said try 15% - told her frankly it's a bit like hard work cos I'd have to program an entirely new Basal Pattern, the TBR feature only goes up in 10s. Are all pumps the same as that?

The Veo allowed TBRs in 1% increments, which was a bit extreme really. The MM640G allows 5% and 15 minute increments.

Yes the Insight has the 15 mins, just not divisions of 10s. Odd really considering it does basals to several decimal places.

Having been so focused on the kidney infection, I have kind of forgotten all the normal ups and downs of basal rates. Add in FIASP trial which has been put to the back for now. Now downer things are not 'normal'. I will look for that pot of patience and see if I can dig some out.

When I was ill (kidney infection) and on oral antibiotics I was running a TBR of 220%. I went onto oral antibiotics for a week and gradually dropped down to 150%. Having finished the antibiotics I am still having to run at 150%. Does anyone have experience of how long their BG might be affected after antibiotics.
It would be the same if you where on injections SB. If the infection has not stopped it would affect your bg too. Pumps are better to control bg with temp basal perhaps. Good luck sorting SB 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back