advise needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary_W_Mitchell

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have type 2 and got a tummy bug couple days ago. I havnt ate anything, just drinking water, took a blood sugar test and its reading 13.4..... how do i get this lower as feeling really shacky etc.

I have type 2 and got a tummy bug couple days ago. I havnt ate anything, just drinking water, took a blood sugar test and its reading 13.4..... how do i get this lower as feeling really shacky etc.
It is probably both a reaction to the infection and your liver being super helpful in releasing glucose in the absence of food.
Are you eating now? Try eating some easy food like scrambled egg or a low carb snack. You could try rehydration fluids instead of plain water.

Drink lots, keep checking on BG levels, and if it keeps going up you might want to look at getting some medical help.
Are you on any medication for your T2?

Have you had some rehydration powders eg Dioralyte? They can help after a tummy bug.
Your high blood sugar is probably due to a combination of things, but largely the illness. Hopefully as you recover and get back to your normal diet and lifestyle, things will gradually go back to their usual readings.

Had a tummy bug the other week and spoke to nurse about it.
She mentioned the oral hydration on top of pro biotic drinks to try and re-balance tummy things 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back