Advise needed Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Androos1

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi ,i recently just by chance checked my blood sugar on friends machine just out of intrest, it was 14.3 at around 11am.I was still with my friend around 10pm so i checked again and it was 23.8.I made an appointment at the doctors and now waiting to have blood test on friday pm ,ive purchased a machine and keep checking.I have cut out all carbs and sugar and exercised but lowest reading i got last night was 9.3.I have only been doing this 3 days,i feel desperate for sugar and feel worse than i did before i checked my blood sugar .Any advise would be much appreciated .Thankyou.

Hi @Androos1 You’ve done the right thing making a doctor’s appointment. The first thing to say is are you making sure you wash your hands before testing? Even a microscopic dot of something can make a difference.

I wouldn’t exercise until you find out what, if anything, is causing this. Do you have any risk factors for Type 2 diabetes - being overweight, family history? Have you lost any weight without trying recently? That’s a symptom of Type 1, and Type 1 is nothing to do with diet or exercise - it’s auto-immune.

Keep testing carefully, keep hydrated and don’t over-exercise for now. If you feel ill or get high sugars, speak to your doctor again and get medical input.

Cutting all carbs in one go (sugar is just another carb) is drastic and can cause other issues including potentially ones with your sight.
It’s wiser to reduce carb intake by 1/3rd and hold that for a couple of weeks before reducing that by 1/3rd and repeat.

And don’t panic. See what the doctor says.

Hi ,thanks , No family history ,but i have been overweight for last 10years and just eating and drinking what i like when i like lol so i dont really no how long my bs has been this way. im worried about what to eat ,what to drink ect ,ive brought some jamun fruit today and will try this?

A good way to proceed for now is to slightly cut your carbs as @ColinUK suggests. That’s a careful, sensible thing to do while you wait to see the doctor. Do keep testing. Make notes of your test results if you can, and what you eat. If you’re hungry, fill up on green veg and salad to replace the carbs you’ve cut out.

Never heard of jamun fruit before but I’d say steer clear of the internet recommended miracle foods until you have test results back from the doctor.
It’s wiser to reduce your carb intake by reducing alcohol, bread, pasta, spuds, pastry, crisps, cake, biscuits, sweets, chocolate, fruit and bill meals out with green veg, eggs, cheese, fish, chicken etc in the short term because you’re at least familiar with those.
Once you’ve had the diagnosis from the doctor and you’ve started to read around the subject and you’ve tested to see what you can tolerate then start introducing the miracle cure foods and see if they make a difference.

You mention you’re overweight. How overweight do you think you are? There’s lots of studies out there about the benefit of dropping 12-15kg as quickly as possible by using meal replacement products on long term BG levels.

Hi @Androos1 You’ve done the right thing making a doctor’s appointment. The first thing to say is are you making sure you wash your hands before testing? Even a microscopic dot of something can make a difference.

I wouldn’t exercise until you find out what, if anything, is causing this. Do you have any risk factors for Type 2 diabetes - being overweight, family history? Have you lost any weight without trying recently? That’s a symptom of Type 1, and Type 1 is nothing to do with diet or exercise - it’s auto-immune.

Keep testing carefully, keep hydrated and don’t over-exercise for now. If you feel ill or get high sugars, speak to your doctor again and get medical input.
Why no exercise?

Why no exercise?

I put that originally in case the OP had Type 1. When I was diagnosed, I was close to DKA and I remember the doctor explaining ketones and that exercise with high sugar, ketones and a lack of insulin would have made things worse. Now too, I don’t exercise if I’m above 13ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back