Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

teapot8910

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all

I'm off to the local chinese this evening for a works leaving do and haven't had chinese in a very long time. I found that the sauces send my sugars much higher whereas indian only a little higher.
It starts at half 7 (I usually eat between 5 and 6) so am wary of eating too much before I go and when to take my insulin. It's a buffet so I'm not sure what I'll be eating... plus I can't take my carb counting book as its too big for my bag!

Any advice would be awesome, thanks guys! 🙂

xx

Chinese is pretty notorious for sending levels soaring! There are likely to be two main difficulties - injecting early enough to try and prevent early spikes, but not too early if the food doesn't then arrive in time. Also, I'd split my dose and take some before and some after as I would be unsure of what I was going to eat. Keep testing, and remember if you have a drink it might also mess with your levels.

Very difficult, but I hope that it goes well and you enjoy it! 🙂

The best advice I can give is relax and enjoy yourself, it's not something you do every day and we all need a treat sometimes.

Chinese is always difficult 🙂

You could try putting a small 'down payment' of insulin in to cover the sauces - so at least you have some active insulin going when you go to eat and hopefully mop up some of the carbs from the sauce.

Bolusing as you go is probably the only way to go for it - the only other thing I do is to bolus for say, 50g of carbs when I arrive so I can go ahead and eat without worrying about injecting when I sit back down with my food - obviously you have to have a good idea of the carbs you're eating so you make sure you match it to insulin 🙂

Yup can only agree with others hun, i always opt for indian lol.just enjoy your evening and have a good time hun.

Thanks guys! 🙂

I've had some toast for the time being to stop my stomache growling. I might try to avoid the sauces, depends on my willpower..... :D

Better start memorising the takeaway section of my book!

xxx

Have a great evening and enjoy yourself

Hi guys
Just got in and my BS is just over 17 :( about half an hour ago I was 14 so have had to correct, now have to wait before I can do my lantus.
Had a good time with everyone but didn't really enjoy my food as I knew I'd end up with high sugars, didn't have a drink and only 2 tiny bits of sweet & sour chicken

Nevermind, all about the learning curve! 😛

xxx

Hi guys
Just got in and my BS is just over 17 :( about half an hour ago I was 14 so have had to correct, now have to wait before I can do my lantus.
Had a good time with everyone but didn't really enjoy my food as I knew I'd end up with high sugars, didn't have a drink and only 2 tiny bits of sweet & sour chicken

xxx

Aww sorry to hear about your high levels hun, its all trial and error is it not, i wont touch things like bananas these days cause i know i always spike, hope the numbers do come down hun xx

Hi guys

xxx

Indeed. I have had very few meals out and it really makes me realise how much easier it is when I have complete control ofver what and when I eat. I think my frst experience was at a wedding and I didn't have a clue how to manage that and failed miserably - but at least I learned something from the experience! 🙂 Hope the levels come down to something reasonable and you don't go dropping low from the correction. 🙂

Hi Teapot. Can't help much other than to say have a lovely night.
Would it help if you went for the veg and prawn type meals? I really don;t know though, sorry.

I think in future I might subtly push the indian choice instead of chinese :D

Bit of a fussy eater I'm afraid Lucy so prawns are a no no for me! Did try seaweed though....

xx

I'm sure I heard somewhere that 'crispy seaweed' is just finely sliced cabbage stir-fried at very high heat.

Sorry to hear your night out 'treat' was a bit of a chore. If it's a style of food you enjoyed before dx and would like to eat out again it might help to have a few at-home experiments under more controlled circumstances... Choose something more neutral from your local takeaway (sweet and sour is notoriously hard work) and eat it at home where you can jab/wait with more precision and test regularly.

After a while you might find Chinese no more unpredictable than Indian. Alternatively you might just consign it to your 'more trouble than it's worth' list!

M

I used to love chinese before being diagnosed but then I changed over to indian, the lower BS levels were just a bonus! I think chinese will end up on my 'once in a blue moon' list 🙂

Went to bed on a 10.5 and woke up with an 8.4 which is much much better than my last trial with chinese!

Thanks again for your advice

xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back