Advice re hba1c levels...please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedame

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi 🙂

I am a relative newcomer to this board - I first posted towards the end of last year to give a bit of info on a newish drug I had been started on called Byetta.

Briefly, I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 9 years ago and achieved good levels after being put on Metformin and a change in diet. My levels got a bit out of control over the past few years and having been on the full dose of Metformin (2x500 3 times a day) and too overweight to risk other meds which can cause weight gain, I went onto Byetta about 4 months ago. I have been careful with my food intake, although now I am not as strong willed as when I started out, but my latest hba1c was a satisfying 7.2 - a drop from 10.2 before Byetta🙂

My nurse was delighted and told me she is happy for me to stay with this level and said that it is unlikely I would dip much lower. Now, here's the question- she said "they" panic if a Type 2 goes into double figures but ideally want to see us under 8. She says a non-diabetic would have an hba1c of around 6 so, my 7.2 is fine.

When I read various boards however, I see some diabetics being told that a level of 8 is huge no-no and in some cases a level of under 6 needs to be achieved. So I am confused! I am wondering is the desired hba1c is a personal thing- does this depend a lot on age and weight for example - I am 58, so would an older person naturally have a higher level than a youngster?

I will be asking my DSN on my next visit but would be interested in what you guys have been told. :D

Hi dame i was told for hba 6.5% is ideal but under 7 is ok , anything over was not so good.I know from my tests i started 9.4 then got to 7.2 which delighted my gp but still didnt mean i got a gold star.I think we all get told diffirent things so it can get very confusing.

Just got mine back today and its 6.3 :D

Thats great news pompey you should start your own thread so this great result dont get lost in thedames thread or maybe a mod can move it for you

Hi thedame - it's good to meet you!

As Steff says, it would seem that most of the health people generally seem to like diabetics - especially Type 2s - to run an HbA1c below 7 and around 6.5% if they can. My GP was satisfied when I achieved a level of 6.8% - however, I wanted mine lower.

I'm a non insulin-dependent Type 2 on metformin tablets only, my HbA1c was at it's highest around two or so years ago was at 9.4% and I've been able to lower mine to 5.1% mainly through changing my diet - in particular, by drastically reducing the starchy carbohydrates that I eat - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta and rice. In fact my last five three-monthly HbA1c checks have all been in the 5s.

As far as your question on age is concerned, I'm 66 years old and I've found no problem in lowering my HbA1c to normal levels.

As far as I am concerned, the level of HbA1c that a person manages ought to be considered to be a little bit more than a personal thing. From what I have read and learnt on these diabetes forums, it really is one of the main factors that decides whether diabetics develop the quite nasty complications that most of us have heard about. My understanding is that the lower a person can maintain blood glucose levels within the normal range means the less chance there is of that person developing complications.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes - John

Hi thedame, take a look at the graph on the page at the bottom of this post - you can see that the risks of complications start to rise at around 6.5 and become quickly steeper. Going from 8 to 7 significantly reduces your chances of developing them, and the reduction in risk becomes smaller as you near the non-diabetic levels of 5-6. So if you can improve to below 7 you can improve your chances.

Some of the 'old school' advice used to be that an older diabetic could have a higher HbA1c because achieving something lower may be too great an imposition (!) and involve too significant a change in lifestyle for them to manage. The thought was that, with fewer years remaining to you, you might as well enjoy them, but I think this has been revised now by more modern thinking as there are wider treatments available and (sometimes) better advice, so you should try and aim for below 6.5 which should be achievable.

Some more extreme thinkers believe we should be below 5, but that would involve very extreme monitoring of diet etc. and may not provide any benefits.

http://www.diabetesuffolk.com/Complications/HbA1c.htm

Last edited:
Hi 🙂

I am a relative newcomer to this board - I first posted towards the end of last year to give a bit of info on a newish drug I had been started on called Byetta.

Briefly, I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 9 years ago and achieved good levels after being put on Metformin and a change in diet. My levels got a bit out of control over the past few years and having been on the full dose of Metformin (2x500 3 times a day) and too overweight to risk other meds which can cause weight gain, I went onto Byetta about 4 months ago. I have been careful with my food intake, although now I am not as strong willed as when I started out, but my latest hba1c was a satisfying 7.2 - a drop from 10.2 before Byetta🙂

My nurse was delighted and told me she is happy for me to stay with this level and said that it is unlikely I would dip much lower. Now, here's the question- she said "they" panic if a Type 2 goes into double figures but ideally want to see us under 8. She says a non-diabetic would have an hba1c of around 6 so, my 7.2 is fine.

When I read various boards however, I see some diabetics being told that a level of 8 is huge no-no and in some cases a level of under 6 needs to be achieved. So I am confused! I am wondering is the desired hba1c is a personal thing- does this depend a lot on age and weight for example - I am 58, so would an older person naturally have a higher level than a youngster?

I will be asking my DSN on my next visit but would be interested in what you guys have been told. :D

Dear thedame,

Welcome to the forum, I guess its all been said by those who have posted before me. However have a look at the articles on This web site

Warmest Regards Dodger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back