Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacen017

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi Guys,

I suddenly got extremely full during lunch and I've probably injected 5 units more Novorapid than I needed.

This is the first time I've had more Novorapid than I needed and I'm not sure whats best to do?

Do I just wait for the hypo? Or should I have some JellyBabies now to increase the carbs I have ingested to head it off?

Thanks

Ratio is 1:10 if that makes any difference to advice 🙂

Have the missing carbs @Jacen017 Something not too filling eg Coke, milk, milk and sugary cereal, chocolate biscuits, etc etc.

Do NOT wait for the hypo! An over-bolus like that can cause an absolutely vicious hypo.
Thanks so much Inka!

If you’re missing 50g carbs, I’d probably drink some Coke, then eat a flapjack bar or cake bar, etc, just to make the carbs up. Sweetened yoghurt is carby too and easy to get down. If you have a Magnum or similar ice cream that will be a good number of carbs and not filling.

I usually go for Frosties and milk or similar. Literally add up the carbs of what you choose, and get it all in you, then do a few extra tests later. Better to be slightly high than have a bad hypo.

Was out to eat for lunch so I'm looking for a cornershop now to grab something small but carby

Was out to eat for lunch so I'm looking for a cornershop now to grab something small but carby

A bottle of Coke (sugar Coke) and a chocolate bar, cereal bar, or similar would work. Have as much of the Coke as you need. You might also see a milkshake that’s got lots of carbs.

But well caught @Jacen017.🙂 As the months go by I find I frequently have to adjust what I eat after I've committed to and taken my bolus. Sometimes this occurs because my Libre is telling me something different to what I'm anticipating; or because the meal on my plate is not what I envisaged when carb pre-counting (particularly when not at home). I find the sweet drink is often easiest, with the bonus of keeping me well hydrated.

Well, I can confirm that biscuits are waaaaaay to sweet for me now.

Haven't had one since I was diagnosed and it felt like an explosion in my mouth :rofl:

Hi. Why not have several Dextrose tablets and keep testing?

You should probably have made sure you had some hypo treatments with you just in case you experienced a hypo as you would not want to be searching out shops to buy something when hypo.
You could then just have had some of those when you had had more insulin than needed.

You should probably have made sure you had some hypo treatments with you just in case you experienced a hypo as you would not want to be searching out shops to buy something when hypo.
You could then just have had some of those when you had had more insulin than needed.
I always have dextrose and JellyBabies for hypo treatments 🙂

I just wasn't sure if I should use them before the hypo started or wait.

Well handled @Jacen017

Easily done when eating out, See also: completely rethinking your carb estimation on whatever it was :rofl:

Hi. Why not have several Dextrose tablets and keep testing?
50 gms of carbs worth of glucose tabs would involve a lorry 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back